What's new

Cambridge Sound and the Newbie... (1 Viewer)

Glen F

Auditioning
both of which are true. Have been checking into this forum for several weeks now and I am hooked. My wife and I made the mistake of going in to Cambridge one day while at the local mall. The rest is history. Having had the system now for a couple of months I know that I want more!! We have a Marantz 4200 receiver and one of there speaker packages. Made the mistake of going into the local Paradigm dealer and try out some Titans and mini monitors...very nice. So my question is what do I do? Cut my losses with Cambridge? Do the offer anything at any level that could compete with a Paradigm speaker? Does anyone have anything good to say about CS? Thanks to all and will be back looking for more guidance.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
The Newton line by CSW is very nice. I own a pair of Newton T-500's and the MC500 center. I have auditioned speakers costing substantially more that sounded "thin" in comparison.
Each T-500 Tower comprises:
>300 watt Class D subwoofer amplifier
>10-inch molded-composite subwoofer and 12-inch passive radiator built-in
>6.5-inch molded-composite midbass driver
>4-inch molded-composite midrange
>1-inch reinforced silk dome tweeters with Neodymium magnets

I have also heard a HT system comprised of (5) Newton M80's with the SVS 20-39PC Plus and it was awesome!

Don't let the fact that CSW sells computer type speakers scare you off...their Newton line is truly an amazing product.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Which Cambridge speakers did you get?

I haven't heard the Newtons but I think the Cambridge Model Six is a worthy competitor for the Titans. Just a but ago, I saw refurb's selling from hifi.com on ebay for around $100 shipped! Since it's from hifi.com you still get the 45 day home trial and the 10 year warranty.

Glen F

Auditioning
Tony, you are right. I am a newbie to home theater and CSW is not new, my mistake. Mike, that is my question. I suffer with a case of tinnitus, ringing in the ear, and I am not that discriminating when it comes to the high highs and the low lows. Was just wondering if the offered a decent speaker that I could trade up to or should I look elsewhere.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Glen,

I second the recommendation for the Newton line. My Dad has a pretty impressive Media room in his house and he's using the Newton Center Channel and surrounds with some enormous Electrostats he's using for mains. That Newton CC is real nice. I would say it compares pretty well with my Paradigm Studio Center which is truly one of the better ones out there in its price range.

See if you can upgrade to the Newton Series. I don't think you will be disappointed.

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Definately goe with the Newtons. Ihave had the following set up for a few months : MC 300 across the front [l,r,c] and MC 200 as my surrounds. Hope too eventually upgrade to MC500 or T500 up front

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks