Cambridge P500 Power Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Cook, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hi folks

I thought you might like to know about the latest incarnation of my set up.

As some of you may know I have a Yamaha DSPA 990 Amplifier that has been converted to 5.1 to which is connected a DD and a DTS Decoder. Well recently I decided to go the separate power amp route using the Yamaha as a pre amp. My local Richer Sounds reccommended the Cambridge P500 power amp as a suitable device. I was a bit sceptical as it was on offer at £99.95, reduced from £199.95 so not a high priced amp by any means.

I connected it to the front pre-outs of the Yam' and switched on. All I can say is WOW the sound was awesome. So I promptly went out and bought two more P500s and connected up the remaining Pre outs. Great stuff and it also gives me a spare channel if I decide to go the EX route. So my advice is don't be frightened of by the low price of these amps. They're good!!

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Cambridge Audio (often confused with Cambridge Soundworks unfortunatly) makes one of the best bang for the buck lineups in audio, IMHO. Their CD players are very good (I have the cd300se) and I once tried the C500 2 channel analog preamp, which I sent back, not because it wasn't good because it was, I just didn't like the way it integrated with my HT setup (the Sony P9000es did the trick). A diminishing returns company for sure.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Your are welcome Yogi. And FTR, I know there are some pretty happy CSW speaker owners on this forum. I did not intend to flame your speakers but many people assume Cambridge Audio IS CSW and I invariably hear negative comments from them thinking CA and CSW are the same.

My very limited exposure to CSW was the first center channel speaker I ever purchased was a $200 or so center speaker I was trying to match up soundwise to my then ESS speaker setup. The CSW speaker was just a bad match for the detailed (heil transformer mid-tweeter based) ESS's. I returned the CSW speaker for a NHT VS1.1 center speaker, which ended up being a pretty good match with ESS (Infinity probably would have worked as well). Of course that eventually led to an all NHT setup. CSW may have been fine as a complete set of speakers but I like detail and I don't think I would have been happy in the long term with CSW.

5. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

I too have been very impressed with what I have heard out of the Cambridge Audio equipment. The P500 sounded much better than I expected, especially for their price. I also listened to a 2-channel system made up of a Cambridge Audio integrated amp, tuner, and CD player that sounded very good, again for the price.