What's new

Cambridge Basscube 10S cutting out?? (1 Viewer)

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everybody. I have a Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 10S hooked up to a Sony STR-DE675 receiver. Recently the sub has been cutting out on me. It usually cuts out during a scene with high bass output. I don't know if it is a problem with the sub or just bad settings.

This is how I have it set:

The sub level on the back of the sub is set between 5-7 out of 10.

The crossover (I have no idea what this is) is set at 100 on a scale of 75-140.

The level output on the receiver is from a scale of -6 to +6, and I have it set at +4.

The LFE setting is set to -10db from a range of -20 to 0.
As with the crossover, I don't really know what LFE is.

The manual that came with the sub doesn't really go into detail, so I would appreciate any help you guys could throw my way.

My first question is, could setting any of these too high cause the sub to cut out, or is there a chance the the problem is with the sub?

Secondly, what is a good way to set these levels?

One more thing is, I recently moved from an apartment to a house with a bigger listening area. I didn't have these problems at my old place, and since I moved I have been playing my dvd's louder to fill the space, and because I don't have a landlord to piss off now.

I have the sub hooked up with one of those standard RCA type sub cables into the mono input on the back of the sub. I watch dvds in dolby digital and dts and have the problem.

Sorry this post is so cluttered and thanks for any help.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I just tried some testing. I put in "attack of the clones", chapter 28, where you get that nice bass from the siesmic charges in the asteroid field. I turned the LFE setting to off and it didn't cut out with the volume way up shaking the room. I then increased the setting by 5 points and kept playing the scene over again. It didn't cut out from -20 to -10, once I went below -10 it started to cut out sometimes and when I got to -5 it cut out everytime.

Can somebody explain what the LFE setting is exactly or point me to a good sub primer maybe, thanks.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing, I was at my father's house today. He has the same sub and receiver and his sub doesn't cut out. He has it set with settings where mine would cut out. Even with the LFE channel all the way up, his sub doesn't cut out.

Any thoughts for a newbie?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks