Cambridge Audio D300SE vs. D500SE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean_M, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Dean_M

Dean_M Second Unit

Feb 9, 2002
    Would someone explain to me the differences between these two units for me, and any opinions on the extra expense of the D500SE would be worth it with my system -

Denon 3802, Infinity IL36 CC, and IL40 fronts?

I can't seem to find any specs online about these two units.

2. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Mar 9, 2000
    Specs are readily available online both from Cambridge Audio and resellers. See below.
    Considering that the D500SE can be had for less than $100 more than a D300SE and is Cambridge Audio's most renowned product, I would definitely select it. And the metal silver faceplate option, which at the same price uses a superior though very bright display, is alone worth the price difference. The D500SE is also a Stereophile Class 'C' "Recommended Component".
    The common specs for each are the same, though the internal components and sound is not:
    older D500:
    newer D500SE:
    D500se w/internal pic:
    Regarding the D500SE, I have posted the following several times in this forum over the last few days:
    24-bit Delta-Sigma dual-differential DAC from Crystal
    boards are modular and upgradable
    control chip designed by Sony exclusively for Cambridge Audio
    dual mono topology
    regulated power supplies for digital and analog circuits
    copper shielding
    BNC digital output and optical TosLink
    Not an issue to me, but be aware that these players will not display the time remaining, and will not close the tray when you press play.
  3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Who has the cheapest price on the D500SE?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mar 28, 2000
    In addition to the excellent links that Scott provided, check out for more information on the Cambridge Audio players. I believe a key difference between the D300SE and D500SE is that the D500SE has better clock circuitry to minimize jitter.
    I don't believe you will find the D500SE heavily discounted anywhere. Cambridge Audio products are not mass-marketed like gear from Sony, Pioneer, and the like. That said, you might want to check out retailers that are featured on Audiogon. As I recall, some of them sell Cambridge Audio products and are cheaper than Audio Advisor. Also, sells the D500SE for $395. I'm not sure you will find it for less.