Cambridge Audio Azur DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Co, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Mike Co

Mike Co Agent

I'm interested to hear of any experience with the Azur 540D DVD player. It doesn't seem to do SACD, but I have not heard about the Crystal DAC's it uses. Also, the video side is handled by 6 discrete DAC's. I'm curious how the video would compare to DSDI.
    In a nutshell, how's it sound and how's it look? I'm likely to use it for interlaced viewing and a lot of Redbook CD's.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Crystal is one of the top makers of DAC's.

Unless you are just watching videos like Shrek, Toy Story and Ice Age, the DCDi thing is way overrated IMHO. If you are more of a film buff (you know, real movies), you likely will not notice too much (if any) difference in DCDi DVD players vs others. Again, JMHO.

If you are going to use it in interlaced mode, you won't even be using DCDi (even if it had it). Try it out from audioadvisor.com and see for yourself (and hear). You have 30 days to send it back for a full refund (less shipping but this ain't like buying a 100 pound sub you have to pay to send back [​IMG] ).

3. Mike Co

Mike Co Agent

Thanks Charles, are you familiar with the model? I know Cambridge from years ago, and wonder what the audio performance is like on this model, haven't seen any reviews or comments on this or other forums.
    Re DVD, I only watch films and concerts and will eventually have HD (2006 the year for change!)so interlaced performance is the key.
    I will be checking out the Pioneer 563-A this weekend and have heard good things about the Toshiba 3950, especially on Redbook CD's. Previously had considered the Denon 3200 and came upon the Cambridge in my surfing.[​IMG]

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I used to have a Cambridge Audio 300se CD player which was a very good CD player for about $250. I would think (after reading about the DVD player at audioadvisor.com) the DVD player would have some of the same solid CD playing qualities as their dedicated CD players. I would certainly think sound quality on the CA DVD player would be better than the Pioneer 563-A or the Toshiba. You could order one and compare it directly to your other prospects. That would be the best thing. If it wins, keep it, if it loses you are just out of about $20 for shipping charges.

Since you are looking for good redbook CD quality in a DVD player other brands known for that would be some of the Denon models and maybe some of Sony's ES models. What is your top end budget?

5. Mike Co

Mike Co Agent

Top end budget in the $400 range; ideal player for me would be killer Redbook performance, SACD + DVD-A, good PQ (but interlaced only required), and be a 5 disc changer.!!!
    I'm expecting to see a bunch of models answering the description over the next 6 months or so, but I'm impatatient.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Interesting looking player. I wonder if it has the chroma bug or DVI?

7. Scott Tufts

Scott Tufts Auditioning

I just finished my research regarding this matter and I went with the 540D also. I was going to get the Denon 2200 becuase my friend vouched for the great picture and sound quality but, since I'm also using an interlaced display and my music/movie ratio is 80/20, I wanted something with excellent redbook CD playback.

I'll let you know what I think of it as soon as it arrives next week.

I'm sure I'll be blown away considering that I'm coming from an XBox (my holdover becuase my last DVD player broke)

Scott