What's new

calling scale model hobbyists (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought there was a thread about this (heck..by now what hasn't there been a thread on), but i couldn't find it.

hi all -

i'm pretty sure there are some model-builders here. so i was hoping someone could recommend some good websites to check out - websites with a focus on technique, how-to's, etc would be great. but any website you think appropriate would also be welcome.

i used to build models extensively as a kid (a lot of tamiya kits), but i would probably classify myself as an average builder. i would like to learn and try to become more skillful, taking my time, and really producing a nicely finished product.

as always, thx.

ted

Cary_H

Second Unit
You don't state what genre you lean towards, (aviation, armour, figures, ships, etc) but there are a zillion sites out there.
I'd say the one below is a good place to start, and it has a pretty active forum too.

http://www.hyperscale.com

The following link will get you to another reasonably active forum.

http://www.deja.com/group/rec.models.scale

I can give you links to any number of decent sites for armour and aircraft.
You might check to see if there is an active chapter of I.P.M.S. in your area as well. Just Google "IPMS".

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx guys. i picked up a copy of fine scale modeler - nice mag. i'm gonna subscribe.

i don't really have a preference yet. as a kid i built everything: tanks, planes (ww2, jet), f1 cars, etc.

i'd just like to get my feet wet and see if i can improve my skills.

i just went to hobbytown and bought a 1/32 corsair f4u, plus some hardware. i'll probably go back and pick up the paint in the next couple of days.

color me excited!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
At least these days u have websites and the forum to turn to. When I was building model planes, tanks, cars, even dioramas, it was mostly trial and error. Imagine having to figure out how to paint on a soldier's pair of eyes. Too much white and he's like totally surprised and to little and he's falling asleep.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'd love to get into building models, but I don't have the coordination and motor skills to do so. I would like to get into model trains though someday, and create those huge sets that you see where the trains go through towns, mountains, and such.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx grant...i know the railroad museum is in old sac, so i think i may check out there too.
I'd love to get into building models, but I don't have the coordination and motor skills to do so.
is there a particular reason you think so? barring some sort of physical limitation, i'm sure you can build a model. many beginner kits are snap-together and/or have large, easy to handle pieces.

my very first model was a snap-together green spider-man van. i think it was one of those chevy luv-van styles. i definitely remember not knowing how to apply the wet-decals (can you blame a 7 year old for not reading directions), so i ended up just cutting them off the sheet and gluing it directly to the van..complete with sticker backing! :laugh:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
StephenA
I think it more patience than motor skills. For model railroads find a larger scale....easier on the eyes.
I have an S scale layout which is a scale between HO & O.
Try a few simple models before the grand.
good luck
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks