calling scale model hobbyists

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ted Lee, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i thought there was a thread about this (heck..by now what hasn't there been a thread on), but i couldn't find it.

hi all -

i'm pretty sure there are some model-builders here. so i was hoping someone could recommend some good websites to check out - websites with a focus on technique, how-to's, etc would be great. but any website you think appropriate would also be welcome.

i used to build models extensively as a kid (a lot of tamiya kits), but i would probably classify myself as an average builder. i would like to learn and try to become more skillful, taking my time, and really producing a nicely finished product.

as always, thx.

ted

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

A subscription to Fine Scale Modeler would be useful. They go over a lot of techniques at different levels.

I also like this site:
    Starship Modeler

3. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

You don't state what genre you lean towards, (aviation, armour, figures, ships, etc) but there are a zillion sites out there.
    I'd say the one below is a good place to start, and it has a pretty active forum too.

http://www.hyperscale.com

The following link will get you to another reasonably active forum.

http://www.deja.com/group/rec.models.scale

I can give you links to any number of decent sites for armour and aircraft.
    You might check to see if there is an active chapter of I.P.M.S. in your area as well. Just Google "IPMS".

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys. i picked up a copy of fine scale modeler - nice mag. i'm gonna subscribe.

i don't really have a preference yet. as a kid i built everything: tanks, planes (ww2, jet), f1 cars, etc.

i'd just like to get my feet wet and see if i can improve my skills.

i just went to hobbytown and bought a 1/32 corsair f4u, plus some hardware. i'll probably go back and pick up the paint in the next couple of days.

color me excited!

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

At least these days u have websites and the forum to turn to. When I was building model planes, tanks, cars, even dioramas, it was mostly trial and error. Imagine having to figure out how to paint on a soldier's pair of eyes. Too much white and he's like totally surprised and to little and he's falling asleep.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'd love to get into building models, but I don't have the coordination and motor skills to do so. I would like to get into model trains though someday, and create those huge sets that you see where the trains go through towns, mountains, and such.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Ted
    You should check out the 'great american train show' next time it comes to sacto. mainly models used with trains but a few dealers carry all types and they are heavily discounted (~70% or more). you'll make up the price of admission with one model.
    also try this site:
    http://www.hobbysurplus.com/discountplasticmodels.asp
    grant

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx grant...i know the railroad museum is in old sac, so i think i may check out there too.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

StephenA
    I think it more patience than motor skills. For model railroads find a larger scale....easier on the eyes.
    I have an S scale layout which is a scale between HO & O.
    Try a few simple models before the grand.
    good luck
    Grant

10. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott