What's new

Calling Hitachi owners (experts) (1 Viewer)

Tom Trz

Agent
My brand new hitachi 51swx20b had one good day...now it has a problem that is progressively getting worse...the color lightens then darkens then lightens again...it has a decidely red tinge when this occurs....I have called for a replacement but am now spooked...has anyone else experienced this problem? 6 months of research and a lot of money spent and I'm feeling anxious....:frowning:

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no expert, Tom, but I've been doing a lot of research on Hitachi's lately and it sounds like maybe you have the Ambient Light Sensor feature on?? From the Hitachi website:
Perfect Picture Auto Picture Adjustment
When activated via the on-screen menu, the TV will automatically sense ambient room light levels and adjust the set's contrast and color levels accordingly. It ensures accurate picture reproduction whether viewing in a dark room or bright lights.
Andy

Tom Trz

Agent
Andy, thanks for the opinion....the flashing/flickering is more extreme than what that would do...it's a very frustrating problem...I was hoping a technician type would say it's just part of the settling in process....

Ken Stokes

Agent
Tom, I've had a 65swx20b in my home for a little over a week. Out of the box the picture was horrible, after adjustment and manual focus it was breathtaking. Within 48hrs it turned to total crap and has been changing ever since. I would say there are 100hours on the set (left running when not there) and now everything is starting to settle down. There is a definite break in with these sets so bear with it for a couple of weeks. Detail is scary good and rest seems to follow.

Enjoy
Ken

Tom Trz

Agent
Thanks Ken...I will talk to hitachi tomorrow and see if this is part of the breaking in process...if so, I'll reschedule the replacement for a week to bide some time...

Another question,..do you have directv? If so, are you happy with the picture in the non-stretch mode...I am not thrilled with it...maybe it's b/c I have a low end receiver...maybe a hd high end receiver which will allow for component connection may help?

Ken Stokes

Agent
Tom, I do have Direct TV and I'm not unhappy with the picture. Some of the stations are so over compressed that the picture is rather soft and a little "off". When I look at our smaller direct view sets the picture is fine but if you look closely you can see the same problems it's just that the big screen shows them so much more.

I was watching Direct Ticket NFL yesterday and I honestly don't know what more I could ask for. The close ups were as good as my 32" Wega and I had no trouble seeing detail except on shots from the blimp. The TV is now to the point where I don't hesitate to even watch the local channel feeds. They aren't great but not so bad they are distracting. Up until last Friday I was using an RCA 100 HD receiver which I borrowed from my neighbor who has a new Hughes. I already had an oval HD dish installed. It died so now I'm back to my RCA with S-video out. I still find the picture fine and am happy with the set.

I suppose it has to do with realistic expectations and decent set up and cabling. Yes I do believe in decent cables, not high end, but better than RS.

I know that if I had the same picture I had a week ago I would return the set. Now the only way I'll let it out of here is if I like the XWX better when I see it.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks