What's new

Calling bassheads - setting crossover on sub (1 Viewer)

Jason GT

Second Unit
Hi all,

First off, this is not meant to be the typical crossover setting type question. :)

Take a look at this article.

On the lower left corner of first graph are freq response curves for a subwoofer, measured at different sub-level crossovers. As the crossover is turned down, the freq response flattens.

My question is, has anyone deliberately turned down their sub crossovers to flatten sub frequency response? Any insight/tips/tricks on doing this?

FWIW I'm running an HK 320, PSB Alpha Bs (good down to about 55-60 hz) and a Paradigm Pw-2200.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
The optimal crossover point is going to be largely dependant upon the room as well as the sub and adjoining equipment.

I have adjusted my sub's crossover in the past to experiment with the frequency response my room/equipment was giving my at different crossover points. My AVR has a fixed crossover of 100hz and I wanted to see if I could get a better response by lowering the cross and getting more from my mains.

So of course I had to dump the line level connection and use the speaker level connections for the sub/mains. I changed the speaker settings in the AVR. I then used a test disk to play different test tones and I measured and charted my freq response at various crossover points ad nauseum.

It was a great excersize that taught me alot about my room and my equipment. In the end: My line level connection and fixed 100hz crossover clearly gave me the flattest frequency response.

My Advice: Get a test disk and make sure you chart your results at various points.

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Since I have good bass capable towers attached to a high power amp, I use 60Hz for my sub setting and this gives me seamless blending with the towers.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
Yep: I did this with Paradigm Monitor 7's and a PDR-10. In my setup, the 7's are corner loaded (unavoidable), so I got a hump at the crossover. By setting the sub's crossover within 10 Hz of the receiver's crossover, I was able to flatten the curve.

jdg

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
My L&R speakers are strong down to 40hz, so I thought that a lower crossover point would benefit my system.

After much measuring and experimenting, I found that my main speakers had a large bump between 80hz-125hz.

The solution was to set my low pass crossover to 80hz, and the highpass to 150hz. Although this looks strange on paper, it actually resulted in a smooth response from 15hz on up through the treble region without having to apply any EQ.

It pays to experiment.

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks