Calling all Wood Workers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm looking to buy a table saw for home use, building cabinets, work benches, things like that. What should i be looking for? Is 2.7 Hp good? 10" blade? thanks in advance.

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Jan 30, 1999

A 10" blade should be just fine for what you want. 2.7 HP is probably fine, too, but different companies report their power ratings in radically different ways, making comparison of relative power a difficult thing to do. If you can compare current, then you're probably better off. A 10- to 12-Amp saw will have the power to do what you want.

For cabinet work, an integrated miter table - as opposed to simply a sliding miter fence - is always a plus.

Can you tell us how much you're willing to spend?
  3. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

a 1 horse power induction motor (you do not want any other kind on a table saw) draws roughly 7 to 8 amps at 120 volts (standard house current) Look on the data plate on the motor and see if amp draw is listed, you should be leary if it is not listed and go elsewhere for your saw

A 1 HP motor is perfect for home use

blades are what will really run up the cost,do yourself a favor and buy good ones
  4. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Jun 11, 1999
    All depends on your price range. $500-1000 look at Jet, Powermatic, Delta contractor saws. $1k-2k look at Jet, Delta cabinet saws. $2k+ look at Powermatic cabinet saws. If you go with a Jet skip the Jetfence and get the Xacta fence, others usually come with beisemeyer style fences which are nice (Delta also offers its own Unifence, which is cool too).

5. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Dec 9, 1998
    I have a Delta Unisaw, and have been very pleased with it. I initially got the Unifence, but was unhappy with it. After several months, I gave up on it and bought a Biesemeyer, which I like a lot better.

Eric is right about blades. Throw away the one that comes with the saw. I use the Forrest Woodworker II, but there are other good ones out there.