Calling all Videophiles--All-around Best Large Screen TV???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Briggs, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Bill Briggs

Bill Briggs Auditioning

Nov 24, 1998

I have a serious purchase to make soon and really don't have the time that many of you have invested in studying large screen TVs. My comments/questions are:

1. I will be watching both satellite TV and DVDs on my new large screen TV. I will buy a high definition satellite receiver.

2. I would really like a TV that automatically goes into the correct mode when watching television stations or DVDs. It would make it easy on my children and wife when I am not around to change the setting to 16 x 9, 4 x 3, etc. I don't like some of the wide screen TVs I see in stores when the picture is showing a normal television program. For example, it makes people look very thin or stretched (obviously distorted).

3. Debating to buy a built in HD tuner or TV that is HD ready. I have read that it may be better to buy one that is just HD ready as it is easier to upgrade to new HD technologies as they come out. Your thoughts please?

4. I am looking at spending up to $8,000 and from what i have seen and read, it appears the Sony 65" XBR2 I believe (their top model) and Pioneer Elite are the front-runners. Your thoughts? Also any modifications/alignments you would recommend for your choice to make it even better???

Also need opinions and rationale on what DVD player to buy to go with the TV whould be appreciated.

Thank you all very much for your time,

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Jan 2, 2001
    Scott Hanson
    With your budget, I would definitely go with the Elite. They not only have the best picture, but they have the best options for screen aspect ratio adjustment.

As for the DVD player, the Panny RP91 is a perfect match with the Elite.