What's new

Calling all that have a personal webpage, please help! (1 Viewer)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I'm looking to set up a personal website if the price isn't astronomically high (doesn't seem like it should, but hidden costs are my worry). It'll help with FTPing stuff for my schooling, and it'll be a nice hub for people I know/family. I have looked online at some 'how to' sites, but some of it is confusing, it seems some sites don't use the same terminology.

Would anyone that has their own personal website please chime in with a small how/to or their experience and any tips that they have for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I personally use Lunarpages to host my site. $7.95 a month and you get a gig of storage and 40gigs of bandwidth a month. Only hidden costs is the price of the domain name.

You need to be a little more specific in what confuses you.

Lunarpages as well as lots of other hosting companies offer control panels that make administrating a website very easy.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
It might be best to start with someplace like tripod.com or geocities that offers free websites. You can do a lot using their webtools, etc.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you want free Geocities will do fine but if you want to make the link easy to type in I'd go with a personal domain + host. I always like to recommend:

www.godaddy.com

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
do you use high speed internet? usually they give you a few megs of webspace you could build a site off of

EDIT: yay first sponsored link!!! :D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I use 1 and 1 and they are awesome...

1and1

here's a sample site I did using their free web builder...

Link Removed

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Thanks guys for all of your responses. It's amazing the varied topics that everyone on this forum are knowledgable about!

Is there anyplace that offers both hosting and name registration to cut down on the bills? And is name registration a one time fee, yearly fee, or monthly fee?

Thanks again!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I prefer to keep them separate. If you're hosting company starts going sour (lotsa downtime, crappy service) you don't have to worry about them holding your domain. GoDaddy has been around a while and is very reliable, not to mention many people switch hosts 2-3x times before the find one they like (especially for the inexpensive ones).

Domains are normally yearly fees for around $8. If you don't renew your domain when the year's up then it belongs to the company you registered it with. They can resell it to whoever they want.

Decent hosting for just family/personal stuff can be found for under $10/month. That's the important fee, feels like another cable or phone bill at times. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks