Calling all that have a personal webpage, please help!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam.Heckman, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I'm looking to set up a personal website if the price isn't astronomically high (doesn't seem like it should, but hidden costs are my worry). It'll help with FTPing stuff for my schooling, and it'll be a nice hub for people I know/family. I have looked online at some 'how to' sites, but some of it is confusing, it seems some sites don't use the same terminology.

Would anyone that has their own personal website please chime in with a small how/to or their experience and any tips that they have for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I personally use Lunarpages to host my site. $7.95 a month and you get a gig of storage and 40gigs of bandwidth a month. Only hidden costs is the price of the domain name.

You need to be a little more specific in what confuses you.

Lunarpages as well as lots of other hosting companies offer control panels that make administrating a website very easy.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

It might be best to start with someplace like tripod.com or geocities that offers free websites. You can do a lot using their webtools, etc.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If you want free Geocities will do fine but if you want to make the link easy to type in I'd go with a personal domain + host. I always like to recommend:

www.godaddy.com

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    do you use high speed internet? usually they give you a few megs of webspace you could build a site off of

EDIT: yay first sponsored link!!! [​IMG]

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Good point. Colleges give out free webspace to students generally, as well.

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
  8. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Thanks guys for all of your responses. It's amazing the varied topics that everyone on this forum are knowledgable about!

Is there anyplace that offers both hosting and name registration to cut down on the bills? And is name registration a one time fee, yearly fee, or monthly fee?

Thanks again!

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I prefer to keep them separate. If you're hosting company starts going sour (lotsa downtime, crappy service) you don't have to worry about them holding your domain. GoDaddy has been around a while and is very reliable, not to mention many people switch hosts 2-3x times before the find one they like (especially for the inexpensive ones).

Domains are normally yearly fees for around $8. If you don't renew your domain when the year's up then it belongs to the company you registered it with. They can resell it to whoever they want.

Decent hosting for just family/personal stuff can be found for under $10/month. That's the important fee, feels like another cable or phone bill at times. [​IMG]

10. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

i use pair.com. used them since 96.

11. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Use punkserver.

http://punkserver.us/

500 mb space, 20gb transfer/month, lots of other features, for $25 a YEAR! Its a bit advanced though, so I dont recommend it for beginning users.