Calling All SVS Owners!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Lowe, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Jim Lowe

Jim Lowe Auditioning

I'm set on getting an SVS or two this Christmas but would like some input. My room is 10 x 14, closed on all sides. What will give the best possible sound in the room, both loud and low. Love DVD's. SVS suggested 20-39CS+ w/ 1000watt amp, anyone here have similar setup???

2. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

That sub will ROCK you in that little of a room! SVS knows what they are saying, if you have the cash get it!!! You won't be dissapointed!

3. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

My brother-in-law has a 20-39pc+ in a 20'x24' room and the bass is just awesome. I just kicks ass!! We can't even listen at reference level since its' just too loud and the bass is way powerful. My sister always gets paranoid about the neighbors getting pissed off since everytime we play at reference and a heavy bass scene hits all we see is their neighbors lights going on, probably waking them up from their sleep thinking an earthquake just hit! LOL It's not our fault they sleep so early! So after 8pm we usually listen about -20db to -30db from reference.

4. Mark R. Ososkie

Mark R. Ososkie Stunt Coordinator

I have a 20-39PC+

..and im thinking about purchasing another

5. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Same here, I have the 20-39 PC+ and I want another SO bad!!!!!!! And another, and another, and another [​IMG] I can't imagine the idea of Dual SVS Ultra's, MY GOD, that's go to be intense!!!!!!

6. John Dolby

John Dolby Auditioning

Ditto with all above.
    1 svs in this room will knock off all the pictures on the wall. place the sub 2 feet or so left or right off the wall close to your setup. a spl meter will help.

Happy with mine. But I still wanna hear them ultra's.

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have a 20-39CS+ with Samson 1000w amp and an ART-351 EQ in a 10'x14' room. You WILL be impressed. I do recommend getting an EQ of some sort to tame room peaks and for the subsonic filtering. I've got mine EQ'd flat +/-3dB with a subsonic filter at 15Hz, and I have yet to bottom the sub. We're talking reference levels with the THX intro on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace with zero problems (although that is the only time I've seen the clip light on the Samson light up). Of course, I never listen at even close to reference levels, but it's nice to know that I could if the need arose. [​IMG]

8. Jim Lowe

Jim Lowe Auditioning

Thanks all, Jeremy it's amazing we have the same small room. Do you ever feel you should have bought something different in the SVS line or adding a second 20-39CS+??? I was considering the ART 351 EQ, but i don't know whether i'm supposed to get that instead of the black box or get both??? What CD did you use to EQ the speaker w/ the ART 351???

Jim

9. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I have a dual 20-39cs+/Samson Combo along with the ART351 to help tame the room in a 13x14 room. All I can say is wow! I haven't had one person listen to SWTPM pod race scene or the intro of TS2 and not say that I'm crazy. I started out with one in this room and then added a second when I blew up the 1st one(well actually my cousin did). I would suggest starting with one and a black box. That way you are able to set the subsonice filter and phase controls if needed. The nice thing about going with the cs+ version is that you can add a second if you like for around $500. I have no problem reaching well into the high 110's. I think that the highest that I recorded with the twins was 122. I turned it down right away though for fear that my CraigM'ed Mits would vibrate apart! Go SVS, one or two is the questions. [​IMG] [​IMG] by the weigh, I used the Stryke Bass Zone CD for the ART351.

10. Shiva Singh

Shiva Singh Extra

I have a small room (12x13) and recently purchased a 20-39cs+. I'm powering with a Marantz MA500 (180 watts) and use a BFD as a parametirc eq. (large cut to remove 10db peak from 70 to 45 HZ). I have it set to play 10db hot (non corrected radio shack meter), but I never play higher then 5db below reference. I also have the sub corner loaded.

I have no problem with the output levels of the sub. Movies can be played at very loud levels with no hint of strain from the sub or amp(same can't be said for the room). I haven't broken out an spl metter but I would say it can play at least 105 db. This with "only" 180 watts.

I think the key to great bass in a small room is a parametric eq to tame the bass peaks. Considering the diffrence a properly set up BFD (Beheringer Feedback Destroyer) used as a parametric equalizer can make, I would strongly suggest buying a parametric eq (the BFD can be bought for under $200).

11. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Still warming up to my 2 week old Ultra. My room is 12X22 and I can play as loud as I want (my HT room is within a commercial building isolated from everything/everybody) but I don't think I'll push the Ultra to it's potential. Or Maby I could, but I'd have to put everything away first / batten Down The Hatches / etc.
    Good luck on your purchase, and welcome to the Bottom Trollers Club!

Eric

12. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

I have a twin Ultra setup, and I recently sold my twin 20-39 setup to my friend (who has a room the same size as yours), and One of these are more than enough. We hooked up both, and everything in the house rattled, and it felt like the house was going to come down[​IMG]
    SVS rules[​IMG]
    Fred

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Jim, at the time, SVS hadn't come out with their 20-39PC+ yet. Looking back, I would've gotten off a bit cheaper and had similar performance had I waited for that. However, I went from a Polk PSW-350 to the SVS, and I couldn't be happier with my 20-39CS+ setup. I've been tempted to add a second one for utterly inane reasons... like "that other channel of the Samson amp is going to waste" or "one on each side would look better." I never do though, because the one sub will quite honestly blow you through the back of the room. As much as I want to add a second one for aesthetic reasons, the logical side of me always wins.

To EQ, I used a custom CD that I burned using a tone generator program on my PC... but the aforementioned Stryke cd has essentially the same thing on it.