What's new

Calling all Stooges fans! Hello Pop has been located!!! (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
http://moronika.com/index.php?topic=4943.msg40705#new News from Ron Hutchinson at The Vitaphone Project... Quote I am happy to announce that The Vitaphone Project has located a complete Technicolor print of the long-lost Stooges 1933 MGM Colortone short HELLO POP! This is the only lost short with all three Stooges, and also stars Ted Healy and Henry Armetta. The 35mm nitrate print was found overseas and after some torturous steps to get the nitrate packaged and shipped, it is today safely in the hands of my friend Eric Aijayla at YCM labs. Ned Price at WB has ensured the funding of the restoration, and ideally we could see this within a year. The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Amazing! It's eventual availability will be a great addition to the Stooge Library for us stoogians! What a day~!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warner Home Archive confirmed on FB that this would see a release this year! This is already turning out to be a great year for classic TV fans!!! :cool:

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ron1973 said:
Warner Home Archive confirmed on FB that this would see a release this year! This is already turning out to be a great year for classic TV fans!!! :cool:
Looks like the inevitable "MGM Three Stooges Shorts Collection" is all but confirmed for a future release. Knowing the WB's strong support of the Vitaphone Project, it's not too surprising, but still very welcome. However, the Facebook post makes no mention of this short being available in the WAC specifically this year. The Vitaphone Project announcement states "ideally we could see this within a year" which neither guarantees the restoration work will be completed this year nor ensures the restoration team won't encounter problems or delays along the way. Yes, we could see it this year but it's not definite.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's.
One wonders what else was really lost in that one. It is stated that the entire original nitrate cartoon shorts collection went in this including Tom & Jerry. However, preservation acetate masters had been previously been made.
When one watches the Leonard Maltin narrated The Lost Stooges he shows us two(I think) manilla envelopes that were supposed to house two "Stooges" reels that were now lost, he said. If the reels were burnt then so would have been the envelopes!!!!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JoHud said:
Looks like the inevitable "MGM Three Stooges Shorts Collection" is all but confirmed for a future release. Knowing the WB's strong support of the Vitaphone Project, it's not too surprising, but still very welcome. However, the Facebook post makes no mention of this short being available in the WAC specifically this year. The Vitaphone Project announcement states "ideally we could see this within a year" which neither guarantees the restoration work will be completed this year nor ensures the restoration team won't encounter problems or delays along the way. Yes, we could see it this year but it's not definite.
I stand corrected. I went back and looked and I did misread what they had posted. Hopefully we will see it this year, though!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
since I have all the Colombia shorts, I'll happily shell out for an MGM collection1 Very exciting!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
moviepas said:
The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's. One wonders what else was really lost in that one. It is stated that the entire original nitrate cartoon shorts collection went in this including Tom & Jerry. However, preservation acetate masters had been previously been made. When one watches the Leonard Maltin narrated The Lost Stooges he shows us two(I think) manilla envelopes that were supposed to house two "Stooges" reels that were now lost, he said. If the reels were burnt then so would have been the envelopes!!!!  
Apparently, the person with Hello Pop also had a copy of London After Midnight, but no one wanted to pay for shipping.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
HELLO POP will be screened for the first time in 80 years at the Film Forum in New York City on September 30, 2013. Below is a link to more details regarding that, along with a brief but very interesting, and I think heartwarming story about how the last lost Stooges short came to be found!

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/lost_now_found_the_three_stoog

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
See, it's news like this (and the big score for Metropolis a couple of years ago) that give me hope that we'll find more Doctor Who episodes some day!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I've never watched Dr. Who personally (I'm sure I'm missing out) but I still read things with interest related to the show and hope more episodes turn up for fans. I'm thrilled anytime something thought "long lost" is found and even more thrilled when it is released for the public to view/hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks