Calling all Panny 300 owners

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Mcc, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I am pretty sure I will buy the Panny 300, my first projector, and I was hoping current owners would share some pros and cons about it. Also, do any of you use a blackout cloth screen with it, and how does the picture look? I cannot find anywhere to demo the 300 yet? Thanks.

2. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

Jim -

I have the 300 and I am using a blackout cloth screen. I am extremely happy with it. The only complaint that I have is that it isn't capable of the black levels of a CRT projector. That isn't to say that dark scenes look bad, it just isn't capable of displaying a perfect black. Most of my favorite movies are dark and I can't say it has ever been a problem.

Here is a link to my site. Scroll down on the left and click on "screenshots" to see some pictures(for what it's worth):

Home Theater

MikeP

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Jim,
    I don't know anyone who has the 300 in Wisconsin. Like I said you can demo the 500 but then when you get the 300 you might be disappointed. If you want you can demo the Z1 at my place just send me a PM if interested. The Z1 will be somewhat close to the Panny 300.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I've had the 300 now for 4 months and it has 550 hours on it.

The unit seems to have a bit more vertical motion artefacts than my previous AE100 unit. This is even with all the motion/flicker corrections done in the service menu.

SDE is non-existent from 11 feet back.

I'm projecting onto a colur matched gray painted wall which is the exact colour as a stewart grayhawk. Framed by a black velvet frame ... 96".

Plenty of grayscale controls, but less control over the bright end.

At 550 hours ... the early signs of blue filter decay are creeping in. I expect that this will increase slowly over time as it did for my AE100.

Do I regret buying it? Certainly not. I don't mind buying last year's top line for 60% of what it would cost when it first came out. Next year, I will add the 500 and again for 60% ...

Regards

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Michael Pineo,

Nice theater you have there. I live in nearby Woonsocket,RI but my parents live in Attleboro. I had until recently settled on the BenQ PB6200 DLP unit but the 300 has recently piqued my interest. I want to get a 45x80(92" Diagonal) screen. I will be sitting about 9 or 10 ft away. Will SD be a problem?

Michael TLV,

Since i am new to projectors, what is blue filter decay? Is this an issue with DLP also?

Thanks,
    Dalton

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Think of blue polarizer filter decay as another consumable item in the projector.

Sort of like brake pads or air filters ... a bit less obvious.

The LCD uses three colour filters to generate colour ... but over time, the blue filter is most prone to degrade because of the heat and light coming from the bulb. (Possibly ultraviolet radiation) ... but whatever the real reason, the end result is the same. The blue filter degrades slowly, ... but not evenly either. It happens in the center first and lessens to the edges.

Think of it like a window in the house in the winter ... with frost on the outer edges.

The degradation is most pronounced by 1500 to 2000 hours ... and you see it as the slow fading of all blue in the image. The image started to look distinctly green.

The edges of this image are least affected by the degradation so the image appears to have a blue/purple tint on the edge.

This would appear to be an LCD problem and not a DLP issue. The cure for this is apparently a $100 part that takes 15 minutes to put in by yourself. Then you are good for another 1500 hours ...

No technology is perfect ... this is merely another weakness of LCD projectors.

Regards

7. Michael Pineo

Dalton-

Thanks for the compliment. I'm really happy with what I have been able to do with limited resources. And I love the Panasonic.

I think that sitting 9 or 10 feet away from a screen of that size would be a bit close. My screen is about 90" measured horizontally and the closest seating I have is about 14' away. I wouldn't want to go much closer than that. I think the rule of thumb is 1.5 times the size of the screen so that would put you at about 11.5 feet. So you might be ok (how's that for a wishy-washy answer [​IMG] ).

If I have time, I'll zoom in my 300 as much as I can and try to replicate the size screen you are thinking of and see how it looks from 9 to 10 feet away.

MikeP

8. Michael Pineo

Ok, I found the time [​IMG]

I zoomed my projector in to 80" wide horizontally and sat about 10 feet away. It actually wasn't too bad. The picture didnt look quite as sharp as it does from a little farther away (A result of the SDE reducing technology?), but it looked pretty good. SDE wasn't really much of an issue, even at that distance.

Of course, this is just my opinion. You might want to take a look for yourself before deciding.

MikeP

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Michael TLV,

Is your 300 ceiling mounted? My AE100 is ceiling mounted and I have very faint corner tinting (likely the blue polarizer) only visible in light areas of the picture). I wonder if the mount I have is "insulating" the projector. Causing it to get hotter. If you have a PJ table top mounted, the hot part of the PJ moslty cause heat to rise. Ceiling mounted, the heat rises and gets reflected by our mounts?

I'm considering an "upgrade". I'm thinking of anything from a side-grade to an L200, to the L300 or L500 [​IMG]

10. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

My unit is ceiling mounted ... actually sitting upside down on a high shelf ...

regards