What's new

Calling all Mitsu WS-55411 Owners... (1 Viewer)

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
...my set arrives tomorrow!! What's the first thing I should do? I had planned on tweaking it as much as possible using the S&V Home Theater Setup DVD and getting it professionally calibrated sometime after the new year. I'll be using it with Comcasts' Digital Cable/HD service and a Panasonic DVD-RP32S using component connections.

Any tips on how to get this set looking its best?

Thanks,
Bill

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Bill,
Thanks. I got all that info from the past 4 years of reading this site, reading up on the subjects, and listening to others who actually know what they are talking about. One day, I might be as good as them. In the meantime, I'm just an HT Lover like you!
What do you think of the TV? Let us know, man!
:)
Matt

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

To be honest I'm not 100% happy with the set. The first thing I did was turn everything down to 50% (color, brightness, contrast, etc) and turned everything off (VSM, Film Mode) and set the temp to Low=6500K.

I started by adjusting the red and blue crosshairs in the main convergence menu. I then went and adjusted the points in the advanced convergence menu for red and blue.

Then I popped in the S&V Tune Up DVD and made the adjustements to all of their test screens. I can't seem to get the set dialed in so that it's detailed and sharp on DVDs, there's still a slight grain to the overall picture. Also, when playing a scene with a lot of black, there's a red tint to the black. I dialed down the red in the color management menu but it's still there.

I may just run through everything one more time to fine tune it. My HD cable should be hooked up today so I'll get to see how Hi-Def looks on the set.

FYI, the entry level DVD player (Panasonic RP32S) is hooked up via component connections.

Bill

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Also, when playing a scene with a lot of black, there's a red tint to the black. I dialed down the red in the color management menu but it's still there.
Bill, have you installed a red-push attenuator yet? This is a must on Mits sets.
Peace Out~:D

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the part numbers for the DIY Radio Shack fix but I haven't bought them yet.

The grainy picture bothers me the most. I thought RPTV's were supposed to offer a higher level of detail than direct view sets.

Thanks for reminding me about the attenuator though!

Bill

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
The graininess might go away as the set breaks in.

"The grainy picture bothers me the most. I thought RPTV's were supposed to offer a higher level of detail than direct view sets."

If you think about it, the higher level of detail of the RPTV is going to reveal more graininess and more imperfections of the signal. Little stuff that you don't notice on a smaller TV are both magnified and clarified on this TV. Think of an old 40's recording on a CD - you hear all the hisses and pops from the original recording even though it's on CD. Same thing with an HDTV. Many DVDs simply have a grainy picture, and a good TV like yours will reveal that. It might not be the TV's fault, but try turning the sharpness down to zero. That often helps.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Know of any "reference" quality DVD's that I could try to nail it down? I understand your analogy completely coming from a high-end 2-ch world. The HDTV is like a great pair of speakers. It will reveal any warts on the software being played.

Also, wouldn't turning the sharpness down give me even less detail?

Bill

John Royster

Screenwriter
Bill,

On those sets sharpness should be pretty good at dead center. Most times complaints of grainy picture come from the source. 5th element or some of the all digital transfers like monsters inc or toy story will show what a great DVD looks like.

Also many DVDs have a film like grain on purpose.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
"I can't seem to get the set dialed in so that it's detailed and sharp on DVDs, there's still a slight grain to the overall picture."

Bill, I'd attribute some of this to using an interlaced DVD player. Try a good $250+ DVD player and you'll notice an improvement. Alternately you could spend about $500 and have an ISF calibration done and REALLY make everything shine.

Having ISF done to a RPTV is the only way to realize its true potential. I'm sure I'll take some heat for this comment....but IMO to be really serious about video quality, an ISF calibration is a must have. Anything else is a big compromise.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on doing an ISF calibration after 100-200 hours have been put on the set. I had considered my DVD player might be the weak link as it's an entry level Panasonic model. I'd like to wait on replacing that with one of the new "universal" players from Marantz, Onkyo, or Pioneer that handle DVD-A/V, SACD, and have progressive scan outputs.

I was watching Oasis' Familiar To Millions concert DVD last night and there was a lot of "pixelation" or "tiling" in the picture that was really annoying.

The other question I had was whether the TV does its 3:2 pulldown automatically on a component image or if I have to turn "Film Mode" on to enable that feature?

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Yes, you need to turn ON the film mode setting in the Video adjustments menu to do the 3:2 pulldown. Even though the set does this pretty well, a good prog scan player can clean up the image significantly. Try Pioneer DV-45a.

"I plan on doing an ISF calibration after 100-200 hours have been put on the set."

BRAVO!

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Sam. That Pioneer looks nice but I want to wait and check out the Marantz and Onkyo models when they hit the stores. A universal player for $1000 is a very sweet deal! Hope there aren't too many performance compromises in them!

Cheers!
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread