Calling all Massachusetts gun owners...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam.Heckman, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

... if there's any out there.

I'm looking at bringing my guns in-state. They are currently being held by a friend that lives in PA. They aren't here because I haven't gotten the proper licences.

Here's my question:
    How tough is it to get a Class-A LTC? If anyone has one, or has applied for one, please reply. I'd love all the advanced knowledge that I can get. I'm only 23 years old and I have no idea if that's a strike against me.

Also, can anyone recommend a good range near Quincy MA? Thanks in advance!!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Almost impossible to get a concealed carry in Quincy. Issuing permits is up to the individual city/town jurisdictions (usually the Chief of Police or a designated "firearms officer") because Mass is a "may issue" state and Quincy is notorious for not issuing carry permits, even if you need one for work. Somewhat easier to get a hunting/target. A hunting/target requires taking a safety course, a proficiency test and letters of recommendation. You can bring your guns in state and keep them in your household, they are legal to own; just not legal to purchase, buy ammunition for or transport if you do not have a permit (initial transport to your home is a grey area). If you have long arms, you need a FID card which you can apply for at your local PD. They are real easy to get and allow you to purchase long arms and ammo.

Basically, if you are looking for a concealed carry and do not have an overwhelming reason for it, you are SOL in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

PS, the closest range to Quincy that I know of is the Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club, located on Liberty St. off Grove St. in Braintree by the DAV hall.

BRP Site

3. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    I think this info is still current, but outside of law enforcement officials, the only other profession is a licensed PI with many hours of experience.

On the bright side, you can carry the gun around your house all you want[​IMG]

4. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help, although it is a bit disturbing news.

I grew up in PA where guns were everywhere. Very rural town of 6000 people. I want to hunt in MA and worry if I bring a pistol with me that I'll be stopped by a game warden in the woods and be arrested for CCW. Guh.

Well, looks like I'll try for a FID or Class-B. Again, I appreciate it.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Deer can only be hunted with bow, muzzleloader or shotgun in Mass (seperate seasons for each). If deer is your thing, you have to leave the rifles and handguns at home. They also have upland bird and waterfowl seasons, along with rabbit, squirrel, fox and a very few bear permits. Most are zoned for the western part of the state.

6. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Wow. I hadn't looked into the hunting laws yet, a few of my co-workers said they had relatives that hunted here.
    Normally I hunt with my rifle, and bring the handgun just in cast my aim isn't the truest (has only happened once) and I need to finish a deer humanely.

Seems as though I'll be going to NH or VT to hunt.

Thanks again!