Calling all Linux users

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Paquette, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

As a Linux newbie who just installed Mandrake Linux I'm looking for opinions / advice on the following:

Which desktop do you use, KDE, Gnome, etc.?

Which web browser do you use?

Any other usefull tips, advice, warnings that may assist me before I get too brave and really screw something up.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

KDE 2.0 is a great UI, but its really a personaly preference. I use KDE 2, as I started out on KDE. Some people feel its too Windows like, but it works great.

Mozilla 0.9 all the way for my web browser.

Get a book on Linux and force yourself to not go back to windows and in a few weeks you will find yourself not wanting to go back.

3. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

I use KDE, with Konquror as my browser.
    Best advice I can give: don't expect it to work like windows. With KDE, it may look that way, but its not.
    Also, learn to love this site, it'll have answers to most of your questions: http://www.linuxdoc.org
    Finally, learn the command line tools. Its what IMHO makes linux so powerful. Plus it'll make it easier to change things. It seems to me that with many distros, the GUI tools for changing system settings change every release (dumb). If you use the command line, know where the config files are and how they work, you won't have to keep getting confused.

4. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Kelley_B - What is the difference between Mozilla .9x and any of the Netscape versions?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I have a Linux box running as a firewall inbetween my cable modem and my Windows PC that I use for everyday tasks.

My problem with Linux is that if you don't use it on a daily basis, the command line syntax and file locations of the important files become very confusing, also like Greek to folks like me. But if you have a way to use linux on a daily basis I'm sure it'll become second nature to you. It just never did for me.

6. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Bash and lynx, myself, when I'm using a UNIX. But then, in my line of work, I sometimes have to telnet to port 80 and issue raw HTTP commands to see exactly what's going on. ;-)

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Mozilla is a completely open source browser. Also it is usually several version ahead of Netscape which is based on Moz.

9. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

I use Mandrake 8.1, KDE for the desktop and Konq for the browser.

Alan