Calling all Klipsch Heads...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick B, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

Greetings!

In an effort to determine how "bright" I like my speakers, I have been trying to audition some Klipsch Reference speakers. Given my location (somewhere north of West Jesus, New Hampshire), auditioning of any type of quality speaker has proven exceedingly difficult.

Nonetheless, I have learned that my local BB (yes, I know) carries Klipsch speakers. And as I am sure you all know, does not carry the Reference line; only the Synergy.

Here is my question. How much difference in sonic signature is there between Synergy and Reference? If I like the brightness of Synergy, will I get bowled over if I get the Reference? How representative of Reference is Synergy?

As always, the collective wisdom of the forum is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nick B

2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I have found the overall brightness of the klipsch is based on the equipment. The pioneer elite was some what bright. But when I put external amps in they sound much warmer and less harsh.

There is a big difference in the synergy to say the RF7s.

Percys in worcester MA, 10 minutes from my house, has pretty much the full spread of Klipsch. RF7, RF35 and RF25 not sure about the RF15. along with that, there is a Best Buy just seconds down the road.

I am willing to rip apart my system if you want to demo your receiver with the RF7s. Drop me an email if you would be interested. It would have to wait until after the holidays.

scott

3. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Nick B,

One thing about demoing all speakers that I have found to be helpful. Listen to the speakers for more than one or two songs at the loudest volume that you will ever listen at. Sometimes you will have that initial WOW factor with a speakers brightness but it often times will quickly change to that RUN factor...No Klipsch bashing here though as I am a former Klipsch head...now a Rocket head..[​IMG] I think Klipsch are an excellent choice for HT and can be good for music IMO when paired with a tube amp or something to tame the treble energy. Again, this is all my opinion so get out and listen so you can make an informed decision! [​IMG]

4. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Bob

Excellent info. I was so close to dumping the Klipsch and moving into rockets. Then I stumbled on the Parasound Halos and these amps did exactly what you mentioned. They toned down the harshness of the pioneer/klipsch combo.

Now instead of my ear hurting after an hour, I can listen all day and night. The sacrifices of loosing some forwardness of the speakers is worth the length of time I can now enjoy the klipsch.

5. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

Well, to attempt to respond to the original question, I think that if you like the synergy you will love the reference.

I have a setup of RB3,RC3,RS3 Klipsch and couldn't be happier. I auditioned the Synergy line before I bought my reference speakers and the reference are basically to the synergy what an Enzo Ferrari is to a Ferrari 360. Not to say that they are that good, but if you like the lower end, you will probably like the higher end. They have the same feel, but the reference is just so much cleaner and capable.

Whatever you do, don't get a Klipsch sub! The KSW line is crap, and you can get more for your money than the RW line. I just recently sold my KSW12 and bought an HSU. I am very pleased with my switch.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I upgraded from Synergy to Ref and have never looked back. The Ref series are on another level.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I agree with Daniel's thoughts on the sub...the KSW subs are a one note boom machine.

8. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

In response to the Klipsch sub-woofer comment, I would like to add that the RSW lineup sounds very nice. I own the RSW-15 and it does a great job. I can't comment on the other models, as I have not heard them, but the RSW line generally gets very good reviews, although the 10 may be a bit weak from what I've read.

David

9. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

the RSW15 is great, but for the price it's a fact that you can do better from a performance standpoint.

I am a Klipsch fanboy, don't get me wrong, but in todays market there are a few subwoofer players that just kill most other larger companies that seem to focus more on their speakers. It was hard for me to come to terms with the fact that my Klipsch sub just did not live up to the rest of my equipment, and even after listening to the RSW's I decided I could do much better for my money by taking it to SVS or HSU. Since I wanted to just spend under $400 I upgraded to an HSU STF-2 for $350, and sold my used KSW-12 on ebay for $350... a free upgrade!

10. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all, and especially Scott for his generous offer. I think I will start be auditioning some synergy speakers at BB and see how that goes.

From reading various posts on the Forum, I have learned what a great impact the choice of receiver/amplification has on overall speaker sound. I have heard my Denon 3803 characterized as both "warm" and as "neutral". I have also heard Klipsch fans say that their speakers are well paired with the new Denon receivers. Any thoughts here on how my receiver would be classified with respect to brightness, perhaps even on a scale of one to ten? Any other members with experience pairing Klipsch and Denon, as opposed to other receivers?

Again, thank you for your time and wisdom.

Nick B