Calling all HTR 5640 / rxv-440 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by WilliamMc, Jan 6, 2004.

1. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I wonder if may may ask a small favor of anyone that owns a HTR 5640 or rxv-440? I've noticed a little bug while testing for hiss at full volume, and wondered if anyone would confirm that they hear it too. This is the issue.

Set the reciever to a digital source, but leave the source turned off. As the volume gets close to 0 dbs, I first here a thump in the subwoofer when hitting 11 db, then I hear a click in the rear left surround at exactly 5 db. this is always repeatable at the same volume levels. Now, if I set the input to 6 channel, the thump / clicks are at diffrent places. but are still present. Also while set to" 6 channel input" I can hear a short buzz at every db level as I advance the volume past about 12 db.

I'm not going to be concerned if they all have this behaviour, but if mine is the only one, it could be a sign of others issues. I have 5 days before my 30 day return is up at bestbuy and would rather exchange it if you guy's say it's only mine. I certianly don't want to go through the hassle if a new unit would do the same thing. there's always the chance that another one would have worse issues.
    anyway, I would be very thankful if anyone would do this little test for me. The local bestbuy does not have this unit hooked up for testing

Thanks, William

2. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I would exchange it and see if the problem persists. Doesnt happen on my Yamaha receiver.

3. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

went to bestbuy and found that the "hooked up" yamaha HTIB used a htr 5640. I tried the test and duplicated all the bugs perfectly. Looks like a design issue involving them all, so the current receiver stays and i'm no longer concerned.