What's new

Calling all HS500 Owners... (1 Viewer)

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing this set...how do you like this model? Did you consider XBR, if so why did you choose the HS500? Did you consider widescreen, if so why did you choose 4:3 over 16:9? Anything I should know about this model before purchase? Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

-Dan

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Dan, The 500,600,700, series Sony's are kinda up in the air right now as they have all been found to have a possible flicker problem. If you do a search you can find quite a bit of people who have or have had these sets with the problem. Sony has supposedly released a service bulletin about the problem & a fix for it but I have seen a few reports of people who have had theres fixed just to have the problem return.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
are you sure we are talking about the same models here? I don't think there is a 600 or 700 model for the sony 36" kv-36HS500 CRT television. I searched for threads on this flicker problem and it only seems to be for projection tv's...please clarify!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Sorry Dan I wasn't paying attention I was talking about the KP-WS500 RPTV's. And I stand corrected on there 600 & 700 series sets as they don't have the problem as I had thought. Sorry for any confusion, & the HS500 series TVs are very nice sets. I have a older 36" XBR250 that has been a great tv with the exception of having an uneven brightness problem, but this is somewhat fixable in the service menu. I haven't heard of any trouble with the new HS series tv's so I would say go for it they are great looking sets.

As for the widescreen or 4.3 set I myself would go with the widescreen as more & more programs will be airing in widescreen as we get closer to going HD. That & the fact that I wont watch anything on DVD unless its in widescreen.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the clarification...got a bit scared there...yeah I here what you are saying about the widescreen, however I get just as much viewing area with the 36" 4:3 than with a 34" 16:9...and the black bars don't really bother me...I mean when I watch stuff on tv now that is pseudo-widescreen I don't even see the black bars unless I really pay attention. i dunno...thats just my opinion

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Both the HS and XBR sets are great this year. I've heard of no issues for any of these sets yet. I picked up the 32HV600 which is the XBR version of the 32" in the HS body(kind of strange). Anyway, I thought the extra $150 was worth it to get the XBR features. I suggest the same for you if it works in your situation. Go for the XBR if you can.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff-

1. what did you pay for the HV600, if I may ask?

2. what are the differneces between the 32HV600 and the 32HS500?

3. how do you like the 600? I am leaning towards that set.

thanks
Allan

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I got the screaming deal at fry's when they were going crazy with prices for sony TV's for that short time period. I got it for $1299. They had the 34XBR800 for $1899, the 36XBR800 for $1699, etc...

Anyway, I love this set. I am expecting my first progressive player this week so I will finally be able to see PS in action (although the line doubler in the set is very good o it's own). I have no complaints at all so far about this set. Once I tweeked it out a little and ran it through a round of video essentials it looks awesome. I just can't wait to see this thing when I get it ISF calibrated. I haven't seen HD on it yet so I can't comment. I do know that it looks just as good as any direct view I have seen.
The basic differences between this model and the HS is it adds the DRC palette control, the HD amplifier, additional PIP, scrolling index, and twin view modes, better remote (I think), and possibly a couple other things that I can't remember but the biggest thing being the adjustable DRC, HD amp and the remote. I have satellite so none of the picture modes did anything for me.

It's an awesome set. I really wanted to get the 34XBR800 16x9 but it wouldn't fit in my cabinet. If you watch a lot of WS DVD's and HD you may want to look at that set.

Hey everyone,

I am also looking into an HS500 variant. Other than screen size are there any feature changes between the 32" and 36" models?

I've been thinking about the 32" model as a replacement for my 27" Trinitron. However, the 36" seems vastly larger when I see them in stores. Is it really worth the $576 price increase (for TV and stand) to go with the 36"?

My goal is to use this TV as a transition from my old Trinitron until HD plasmas reach a more reasonable price/performance point. It's only going to be my primary set for maybe four or five years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks