Calling all Fathers and Mothers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jon_Gregory, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Well me and my wife have been trying to get pregnant. And well, she is late by about 12 days now and we might as well have bought stock in home pregnacy tests. We have went through 6 tests and none of them have come up positive. These things are expensive also. She is having all kinds of signs that she is pregnant, but still no posititive test. It is killing us that we don't know. She called the doctor and she can't get in till Jan 13. Not knowing is about to drive her crazy.

My question is, did you or your wife (for the dads here) show up on a home pregnancy test? She is having all kind of signs that she is, but the tests come up negative, what gives. She is driving me crazy in the process[​IMG]

We have not told anyone that we have been trying and it sucks, because there is no one to talk about these type things to. She wants it to be a surprise to family and co-workers.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Assuming she has a standard 28-day cycle, being 12 days late should put her about 26 DPO (days past ovulation). By then, her levels of HCG should definitely be high enough to be picked up by an HPT. However, I've known a few women who've NEVER gotten a positive HPT and they went on to deliver happy, healthy little babies 9 mos later. A blood test is more sensitive and sometimes that's the only test that picks up on the HCG.

She shouldn't have to wait 3 weeks to get in! She really doesn't even need to be seen. It's just a blood test done at the lab. Does she have a family/general doctor? They could give her the lab request, she can go get the blood drawn, and the doc can call her in a day or two with the results. If she has a good relationship with her existing doctor they'd probably do this. Or, have her stop by a clinic (planned parenthood, for example) and they'd pretty much do the blood tests on the spot. Whatever she does, though, make sure she requests the blood test since docs want to do a urine test first. The urine test is the same exact thing she's been buying, so don't let them.

Now, there's all sorts of reasons why she'd be late but not be pregnant. Things like a near-ovulation (but no egg released), early miscarriage, and wacky hormones (which can also mimick all the early pregnancy symptoms). However, I'm going to assume that she has regular cycles for the time being. But before making any furthe speculation of what COULD be going on, tell her to be more insistent with the docs and get in there ASAP for a blood test. No point in speculating until you know for sure.

PS - If she isn't already, have her take prenatal vitamins ASAP!

3. Jon_Gregory

Thanks for the reply. I am at work right now and she is off today. She just called me and her doctor set her up to get a blood test done today at the lab at the local hospital. She has always been regular and never missed a beat. So hopefully we will find out something today or tomorrow. She has been on Prenatal vitamins ever since we started trying. She is a pediatric nurse and knows all about that stuff.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

My wife "could tell" before we tested positive with the EPT. But even then, we set up the appointment to be 100% sure, as that happened after the very first attempt and I was sure there was no way we could get that lucky!

5. Jon_Gregory

Yeah this is the first month we have tried and I can not imagine us being that lucky. But we shall see by end of today or tomorrow.

6. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Congrats... I hope.

Just a bit of advice (take it or leave it)... if you find out your wife is pregnant wait a couple of months before telling your family and close friends. Not to rain on your parade but after a couple of months the chance of miscariage is much less. Now I would never wish that on anyone but it was almost more painfull to tell all the people (that 2 weeks eariler we told "we were pregant") that we had a miscariage.

After we went through that we waited almost a year to try again and did not tell anyone till we were past 3 months.

It is quite amazing how many people do have a miscariage.

Congrats and Im sure you could be that lucky...

7. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Stunt Coordinator

Happened the very first possible time for us too. I think we used the First Response EPT and it showed positive a few days after her missed period. If you are pregnant, congrats, also be careful after she gives birth...breastfeeding is not 100% effective birth control...our beautiful little girl now has a beautiful little brother to prove it.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Jon - Take a deep breath and relax.

She is likely just late, not pregnant. The test would have picked it up by now most likely, just take it easy. It'll happen in due time.

If I was you, I'd savor my last few months of freedom and not worry so much about when the pregnancy occurs [​IMG]

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I agree with Chris about waiting a little while to tell people beyond your closest relatives. I've known several people who miscarried and it's a painful situation made worse by having to tell the news to people who aren't that close. Better to share good news than bad, especially with people who don't know how to react or respond to that information.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

10. Jon_Gregory

Yep, not pregnant, blood test rulled that out today. Oh well guess we'll get back to trying[​IMG]

Thanks for all the suggestions and support. My wife just wants a little one so bad and so do I but I can take the disapointment, she can't. She is a very emotional person.

11. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

I think many many women feel the same way she does. I know exactly how youfeel.

If it's any consolation, the odds of conception are only about 1/4 at best if you try on the right day.

Best of luck. The odds are that it won't be too much longer. Even if it doesn't play out in your favor over the next few months, there are ways around that too. (I know a lot about this, and our first little one is finally on her way.) But you shouldn't be worrying about that any time soon.

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If it's all disappointing, you guys aren't doing it right.[​IMG]

Relax. It took my wife and I 15 months the first time around (4 the 2nd). She was a total basketcase, until she figured out that being a total basketcase was likely keeping her from carrying. One month after she "lightened up," BAM, pregnant. I will say that, toward the end of trying, I was beginning to look for a suitable stand-in for me.[​IMG][​IMG]

Enjoy the, well, ... ride.[​IMG]

13. Jon_Gregory

Trust me I love the daily trying[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Todd Hochard

Actually, the daily might be part of the problem (although at the first month in, you don't have a problem).

There's lots of info out there on it in Google-land, so I'll spare you my less-than-rudimentary knowledge of the whole thing. Suffice to say, from a conception standpoint, too much is not good.

15. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Who's side are you on man???? [​IMG]

16. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Hey, my problem was that it happened on the first try and that was about it for over a year!

17. Jon_Gregory

Yeah Todd, who's side are you on[​IMG]. When I said daily, it's not really daily. But every other day is what the OB doctor told us to try for if we were not going to track her cycle to the hour. So far my single buddies are jealous as can be. I love being married. Not just for the making babies part. But it's great too.

18. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Sorry to hear that. But practice makes perfect. [​IMG]

I used to be easy going about it, but disappointment month after month really takes a toll. Finally after two years and beginning infertility treatment (I already have a known condition that should have been resolved, but evidently there might have been more), it finally happened. I'm thrilled, but the emotional rollercoaster was tough. I will say, though, that the time gave my husband plenty of time to catch up to me. By the end there, he was just as eager as I was. So I guess in the end, it's all good. We ended up where we wanted to be and are there when we both wanted to be. The kiddo is still cookin' but should be ready to meet the world in April.

Good luck to you both!

19. Todd Hochard

Quote the whole thing- "from a conception standpoint..."[​IMG]

20. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Roger that [​IMG]