What's new

Calling all Canadians...Paradigm in Vancouver? (1 Viewer)

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm planning a trip up to Vancouver at the end of the month to pick up a pair of Studio 60's and a Studio CC...maybe a pair of Studio 20's as well. Can anybody recommend a store in the Vancouver area that will give me a good deal? A particular salesperson, even? Where have you had good experiences?
I'm hoping to spend no more than $1200 U.S. Does this seem reasonable? U.S. MSRP for this would be about $1700 (not including the 20's).
Thanks for any help.
Nestor

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
There are a couple of places in Surrey, BC which are close to the border crossing you will be coming over. I picked up my PW-2200 at Audio Video Unlimited. They were very reasonable, gave me the sub abd 20' sub cable for 740 CDN.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
There was a thread about this on alt.home-theater.misc a few weeks ago. I'm sure I'm going to get the names of the taxes all wrong, but there's one Providence that's doesn't charge the 'standard' tax. There some "other" tax, about 7%, that all the Providences charge, but that's refundable to Americans when they cross the border.
I'm sure some of you Canadians can explain this better, but the bottom line is that if you buy in the one certain providence, you come away totally tax free. Plus you get the awesome Canadian prices.
I sure wish I was closer to Canada. I really want a pair of Studio 40's. :)
Good luck,
Aaron
[Edited last by Aaron H on August 15, 2001 at 08:46 PM]

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, it Province. The Province he is refering to is Alberta. They have a conservative government and as a result have no Provincial sales tax (although Calgary would be the closest place to you in Alberta to get good prices on Paradigm and that would be one long hall for speakers). They do still however have the GST (goods and services tax) which is 7%. The PST (provincial sales tax) in Saskatchewan is 6% and I have no idea what it is in BC. You'll have to hope for some other Amercians to respond as to how you can avoid the taxes as I don't know (although I think I've heard you can avoid both). I just live with them.
As for the price $1200 USD will give you about $1850-$1900 CDN depending on the exchange rate you get. From my knowledge US MRSP it more like $2300-$2400 for what you listed.
In CDN funds, lets say $1400 for the 60, $800 for the 20 and $600 for the CC. Which is $2800. Then you should be able to get 20-25% off of that. So $2100 to $2240. Add tax to that and then take off whatever tax you can get back.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I recommend Audio Video Unlimited. You can get their locations from their website www.avu.ca
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks