Calling all Australians…

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Herb Kane, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

I’m looking for a little bit of help. I have a family member heading off for an extended vacation to the Land Down Under and he's offered to bring back whatever I need in the R4 DVD department (and I’d much prefer a couple of discs over an Oilskin Duster or an outback jacket [​IMG]).

So, my question is this; Can anyone suggest any impressive ultimate or definitive packages/versions that exist in R4 that surpass R1 versions…?

I’m also looking for titles that exist in R4 that have not yet seen a R1 release – particularly older classic titles.

Any help or any links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Herb.

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I used to buy Aussie discs, but stopped a year or two ago when the exchange rate became too painful.

I can't remember which off-hand are good, but I can point you to two resources that could answer your question:-

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/
    http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/

Both have extensive databases and lists of discs where a particular region has the "best" disc, so looking at the lists of R4 winners might turn up something you're interested in. Just a caution: michaeldvd has a "habit" of awarding a win to an R2 or R4 disc identical content-wise to an R1 disc based solely on the fact that "PAL has superior resolution and therefore better PQ".

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Better: Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Not available in US: Napoleon

4. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

5. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

ok, here's what I own...

Bend It Like Beckham (R4)
    Thomas Crown Affair (1999) (R4)
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding (R4)
    Ninja Scroll 10th Anniversary (R4)

If there are any good R4 titles, I would buy them, since I'm Ozzie. [​IMG]
    Most of my collection is R1.

6. DieterW

DieterW Agent

Hey mate,

Good luck with your Down Under adventure [​IMG]

I was in Melbourne last year and stumbled upon some kind of DVD warehouse. The room was not very large and DVDs could just drop on your head if you didn't look out. The amount of DVDs they had was enormous but finding the DVD you were looking for was almost impossible. I was looking for the Abel Gance DVD but didn't find it.

I've recently located it to be available in Spain as well:

http://www.dvdgo.es/product.asp?catg...1&dvd=Napoleon

However, Manga Films is not well known for its high quality DVD transfers... On the other hand, the Spanish DVD seems to be a cooperation with Studio Canal so picture quality might be OK. I have been unable to find a review of this DVD, but there is a profile available for DVD Profiler which states this DVD to be R2 and R4 with Spanish subtitles only. I'm not sure what this means though. It could mean that the intertitles have been recreated in Spanish or that the original intertitles have been used and Spanish subs have been added.

7. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I'm not an Australian - actually, I live in Toronto - but I've imported the following titles from Australia:

"Frantic"
    "Innocent Blood"
    "Lost Highway"
    "Muppet Treasure Island"
    "The Poseidon Adventure"
    "The Rocketeer"
    "Scream"
    "The Truman Show"
    "Vertigo"

All of which are 16X9, unlike their R1 counterparts. There are also high quality, inexpensive, 16X9 versions of "Peeping Tom", "The Rock" and "Rushmore", if you want anamorphic enhancement but don't want to pay Criterion prices.

And if you're a fan of the Michael Caine-Harry Palmer films, "Billion Dollar Brain" comes out on January 18th.

8. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

If your friend is in Melbourne, I suggest shopping at JB Hifi, it's a CD/DVD store like our equivalent to Best Buy. A lot of DVD titles in general are ridiculously cheap, though we mostly tend to follow R1 releases by and large.

As Andre said, there are a few R4 titles which have 16x9 enhancement whereas the R1 releases don't, a lot of which tend to be Buena Vista and early Fox films.

As for particular titles, off the top of my head there is/was a Misery SE, Swordfish has an exclusive interview (from a local Melbourne show), Ransom is anamorphic (SE features too), Scream is an SE (theatrical cut though), Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway have some featurettes, and there is a release of Battle Royale (crappy transfer but packed with featurettes).

You may also like to get some Fox DVDs, for example The Day After Tomorrow and I Robot are both out as 2 disc releases (I guess the market here isn't big enough to double dip on!).

As for older stuff, I'm not too sure but we seem to mostly follow R1... however, you should check to see if any particular titles are available in R4 at www.ezydvd.com.au

Hope that helps!

p.s. Dieter, do you remember what area the DVD warehouse was in?

9. DieterW

DieterW Agent

Well mate, hard to say... It has been a year now, and cities with a checkerboard street system always make it hard for me to find my way. You never get lost, but you never find what you are looking for... Anyway, what I do remember is that it was located near the street that was seperating (north-south) the commercial from the business area. Furthermore, there was an electronics store next to it and a large CD store very close to it too. Now I think of it, it may have been only a few blocks away from the post office (big one in the city center).

10. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like it was probably on Elizabeth St, may have even been JB Hifi (is only a block or two away from the GPO) - a yellow and black colour scheme on the outside, not very clean looking on the inside, but it's packed full of goodies.

Next door is Video Collection, which tends to import Region 1 stuff but is quite overpriced. And further down the south end of Elizabeth St is Minotaur, a comic book store which also has Region 1 discs (and is also overpriced!).

11. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Thanks very much everyone for your responses - very much appreciated.

12. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

Whoops I actually just remembered today that JB Hifi actually split into two separate stores in the city area (literally around the corner from each other), one for DVDs the other for CDs. Hope your friend manages to find it OK! It's not too hard to miss.

I ended up paying a visit there today, and yeah it does kind of look like a warehouse [​IMG]

13. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

CONAN THE BARBARIAN has a 5.1 mix locally. THE DISH has extras not on the Region 1 release. IT'S ALIVE locally bundles all three ALIVE films into the one set with extras. The DEATH WISH double-feature disc features the longer, more explicit (NC17-level) cut of DEATH WISH 2 in anamorphic widescreen. There are two Nick Broomfield boxes out locally that collect nearly all his pre-KURT AND COURTNEY output. CRIMSON RIVERS has more extras than the Region 1 release. There's probably a few others but these are the first to mind.

14. david_shy

david_shy Agent

Most Pixar SE releases are DTS in Australia, which may be of interest. I'm unsure if Pal speed-up applies to Pixar releases....?

Madman entertainment have/are releasing a lot of Studio Ghibli's titles, expected to be completed by May 2005 jb Hi Fi and Target carry these titles as they are released. check http://www.madman.com.au/htmlmail/december030/

Twin Peaks box set here has the pilot episode

A lot of british TV shows are on dvd (Available at JB Hi Fi)

15. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

ill second that: the PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK SE is a treasure-but why they did a new transfer and not enhance it 16x9 is beyond me...
    ---
    I happened upon the website of PAHRs DVD publisher, UMBRELLA, and saw they had it listed as 16:9 enhanced...
    I wrote them about this noting that my copy was not, and all reviews on various websites state it is not, and still they persisted in a reply that IT WAS.
    mind boggling!

oh-and Vincent Wards THE NAVIGATOR is out, via AVS Channel-widescreen and 16:9 for the first time! (according to a review)