Caller ID now on 6000 !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertM, Feb 28, 2001.

1. RobertM

RobertM Auditioning

New software upgrade has caller ID.
    Go to Menu / Setup / Telephone. Check the caller ID box to activate it.
    ------------------
    boma

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

There was a new software download? What is the version now? I did not have the darn thing off last night so I guess I did not get it.
    Thanks,
    C. Ryan

3. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Caller ID; I glad it has finally been activated but it couldn't have been the only change in the software????? Who's got the full monty on this?
    ------------------

4. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I don't see any available downloads when I go into system setup. Nothing about Caller ID under Telephone either.
    What gives?
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs to Hellen Keller.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

From what I have been able to find out, this is the ONLY adjustment made in this software release. NO other changes were made besides the Caller ID function.
    I have checked my system and do have a caller ID function avaliable but I don't have caller ID and cannot check to see if it works.
    C. Ryan

6. TimothyP

TimothyP Extra

I checked this morning and do not have the new caller ID upgrade. However, I usually leave my receiver on at night. I turned it off from 12:30am until 7:00am EST last night hoping to get the upgrade apparently without success. When do upgrades occur anyway? Is it an every night thing? What time of night? Also, what's the new upgrade version number? Last one was 6.90, right?
    Thanks,
    Tim

7. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I was prompted for the software update last night. I haven't yet check to see if it has downloaded.
    I had cancelled my caller ID a few months back because the 6000 didn't have it enabled. Just called my phone service provider to have the service re-enabled. Unfortunatly, it takes three business days before it is activated. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    SpenceJT
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~spencejt
    "Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried"

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Anyone know if this is available on other dish receivers? what makes the 6000 so much different with respect to caller id if it is just a software upgrade as compared with the 4700?
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

9. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Well I just now saw the message box asking if I wanted to receive the upgrade. It mentioned that the receiver must be off to receive it.
    Well, how long does it take to receive? How will I know when it's done?
    How can the receiver do things while turned off?
    Wierd.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs to Hellen Keller.

10. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

Paul, the receiver is still "on" even when you turn it "off". It just doesn't display a picture. It still does work when shut off, like download available updates and the EPG.
    I've noticed that if I leave my 6000 on a channel that comes off the dish and not an OTA channel, then the next morning I have programming out about 6 hours and the channel info downloads very fast.
    If I leave it on an OTA channel, as soon as I go to change a channel I get the dreaded "Acquiring satellite signaly - please wait......FOREVER!!" Then my program guide still goes out about 6 hours but all the boxes say "Info Unavailable".
    I wish Dish would do something about the EPG, it drives me nuts!!!!!!
    ------------------
    "I want my HD Set"

11. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Thanks for that tip. I also hate waiting for the dreaded satellite signal for EPG
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren

12. TimothyP

TimothyP Extra

I got the new software upgrade last night. The new version number is 6.91 (was 6.90 previously). I agree with others; the only apparent change is the new caller ID function. I tested it today and it works flawlessly - VERY COOL!
    Interesting that I didn't get the update until last night despite turning my receiver off for the last 4 nights. Last night was the first time I left the receiver on a satellite channel instead of an OTA channel. I suspect updates only occur if your receiver is turned to a satellite channel. Anyone know for sure?
    Tim

13. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

14. Jon_T

Jon_T Agent

15. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Timmy, Are you viewing your programming in SD mode? TW1 shouldn't work in HD mode. I'm surious why you wouldn't let the 6000 receiver upconvert everything to 1080i since you have the TW56X81.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren

16. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

17. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

FYI, you can press the '*' button on the Dish remote to get either (black bars, grey bars, stretch (i.e. TW1) and full zoom (i.e. TW2)).
    This way, you wont have to worry about your caller ID being chopped.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren

18. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

19. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I really like the Partial Zoom feature on the 6000. It is great because it only cuts off the bottom, and not the top. So you are not getting any stretching and you are not getting heads chopped off either.
    C. Ryan