What's new

call to all subophiles! (1 Viewer)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
2 Energy XLS12s or 1 Paradigm PW-2200...

I am looking for independent data on those two subs, but can't find any. So therefore this is my last resource: I have the choice of adding another PW-2200 to my setup, or two XLS12s for about the same price. Now I know the Paradigm offers a better, more musical sound. I am wondering, however, if TWO XLS12s wouldn't have more output than ONE PW-2200.

Tom Vodhanel could probably help me on this one, however I'd feel bad emailing him when I have no intention of buying his product (SVS is just too damn expensive here in Canada). So does anyone else have an idea on this?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Can you get two of the Energy subs for the same price as a single PW2200? You should be able to get the PW2200 for $800CDN or less.

I don't know if Energy has fixed the problem on the latest iteration, but I heard numerous reports a while ago about port noise from the xls12.

I'd imagine a pair of xls12 subs would have a little bit more output than a single pw2200. But for the small difference in peak output I'd be inclined to go with a single PW2200 (for lack of port noise and better sound).

Sebastien David

Second Unit
thanks dustin.

I work at a dealer. therefore, normal pricing doesn't apply.

I am inclined to agree with you though. does a little more output warrant the loss in sound and build quality? probably not. I'm just checking, you know...

Sebastien David

Second Unit
just Energy normally, but exceptionally, we have a PW-2200 in stock (a new store opened in place of an old Paradigm dealer, my company bought the stock as well as the building). I'd like to take advantage of that occasion, because I REALLY like the PW-2200 I already have...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
So your choice is between a PW2200 and two xls12 subs and a pair of PW2200 subs?

If that is the case, definately a pair of PW2200's.

Nick V

Second Unit
Sebastien,

So, is the markup on Energy way more than that of Paradigm, or am I misunderstanding something??

A plus tard,

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
A plus tard?

Anyways I would pick the paradigm sub over duals because it will be easier to play with and tune. If the paradigm has quality bass then I'd choose quality definitly over output. It's not like getting a second sub will double your bass or anything, the increase is actually pretty small.

Nick V

Second Unit
Yeah, it's french. I took french immersion all the way throught high school. I noticed that he put accents on his name, which would normally mean that he's french or francophone, and seeing that he's in Quebec, I put 2+2 together.

It means talk to ya later (pretty much).

BTW, I'd also go with the PW-2200.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
yup, Frenchie boy here...
been speaking English for several years now, however, and go to an english University. I bet you couldn't tell I'm French just from my writing!

yes, my choice is between a pair of PW-2200s and one PW-2200 PLUS a pair of XLS12s. basically I'm wondering wether it's an advantage or a disadvantage to have a mix 'n match of subs... is it good because one sub's strengths are another one's weaknesses and therefore you should get good performance all around, or is it bad because they'll have a different sonic signatures and something will sound fishy?

about the markups... since we carry Energy, I can get the subs directly from the manufacturer, which is less expensive than getting them at my store's cost price, plus I only pay one tax. since we don't carry Paradigm on a regular basis (unfortunately), I can't go directly through the manufacturer, which makes it more expensive, even though the retail on both these subs is probably similar. that is why two XL-S12s would cost me marginally more than ONE PW-2200.

I think I'll go with the Paradigm, if the one we have available is in good shape.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Yeah go paradigm,
LOL on the "A Plus Tard" I know french but at first glance read it in english and was rather confused as well :) Then I put 2 and 2 together and realized it was french. hehe
In english that is a VERY funny saying "A + tard" What's a tard? hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks