What's new

Call me a big softy, but I really enjoyed 'A WALK TO REMEMBER'. :-) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ever since Say Anything i've been a fan of these types of young romance films, and this is one of the better one's IMO. I saw it on HBO the other day, and the movie just has great heart and good feelings and I fell for it hook line and sinker. :b

Not to say this film doesn't have it's problem's, it does lay it on a bit thick at times and does perpetuate some pretty old love story cliches', however they didn't really matter much to me, the performances from young pop singer Mandy Moore and Shane West were strong enough to overcome these shortcomings. It's very refreshing to see a film about young love that doesn't cheapen itself and gives it's audience at least some degree of credit, and portrays teens that can genuinly feel and have strong values. It's funny, but even though she was the female charactor, I identified a lot with Mandy Moore.

If you like these types of films like I do, give this one a try, it has a way of speaking to the romantic in people, it did for me at least. BTW, I can't get that song that played over the closing credits out of my head! It's called 'Cry' and is sung by the film's young star Mandy Moore. Great song, great soundtrack, I may pick it up, i'm definitely picking up the dvd.

Anyone else with me on this, or am I just a wuss that's completely alone here? :b

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I agree John. Thought the father character was a bit overblown...but still a nice, warm, and surprisingly sweet movie. Didn't expect to care so much for these people but I did. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joel C

Screenwriter
I thought it was cute and worth watching. Not great, but surprisingly good, and a heck of a lot better than Britney Spear's attempt at a teen drama.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The wife and I liked it too (well...duh...of course my wife liked it!:). Just a good hearted story.

I agree the father character was overblown.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If you enjoyed the movie, i strongly suggest you read the book, its 10x better

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, fantastic! Her dad reminded me of Footloose, but I didn't think he was that far 'out there' because of the way she was.

Glenn

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I had a bad experience with this movie.

I saw it opening night, which meant I sat on the front row, and all the girls screamed everytime Shane West showed up on the screen. It was hard to enjoy it like that. Plus I went into it with a bad attitude.

I will say the acting was not great but suprisingly not bad at all.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I can see that, Wes, it probably would have soured me too seeing it under those conditions. Of course, us guy's had Mandy Moore to look at. ;)

I though the acting wasn't that bad really, Mandy Moore in particular came off very soulful and warm, not bad for a girl who's primary occupation is singing. I'll watch her in a movie before Spears that's for sure.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm going to have to agree with the comments already stated here. I also enjoyed the movie. I wouldn't call it one of my favourites, but it was definately better than what I had expected.

BTW, I saw Britney's "Crossroads" movie, and it sucked ass! I think it's one of the worst movies of all time! Even "Glitter" was a millions times better than this piece of crap!

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Sorry John. These movies (including Say Anything) tend to make me ill.

However, different strokes for different folks, you big softy.

Glad you enjoyed.

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm a big softy too, b/c by the end I was bawling. I just kept thinking of me in that situation, loosing my wife, and it made me realize how lucky I am to have her.

Dan

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
This isn't really my type of movie, but I've seen my fair share because my wife likes them, and I figure if she's willing to watch just about anything I like the least I can do is watch the occasional chick-flick with her. :)

A Walk to Remember was a bit predictable and somewhat over-sentimental, but I actually found it pretty good. It had a moral fiber typically missing from this type of movie which I found refreshing, and Mandy Moore played her part pretty well. Definitely better than most teen-oriented chick-flicks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I realize that their are bigger fish to fry, what with the long awaited sequel to The Matrix opening today and all that and everyone and their grandmother is talking about it in it's two threads.

However I was in the mood for something sweeter today so I watched my dvd of this film again, and this film is a very unique one, it has grown even more endearing and heartfelt since the last time I saw it! Very few films do this for me. Dare I say it, but this film speaks to me even more so than Say Anything!

I'm aware of it's flaws, glaringly aware after reading some of the user comments over at the IMDB, they are merciless over their, and yet none of that matters to me. There's something inexplicable, something magical in this film that I cannot explain. Forget the cheesiness, it matters not, it has a heart that glows.

Rant over.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John, you big girl! :D

Haven't seen this flick, but I tear up pretty easily during touching/sad scenes so it'd probably get to me, too. :b

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This one is a killer. Easily better than I ever expected and the plot was totally protected in the trailer, for which I am eternally grateful. It was wonderful to discover this film on its own.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Malcolm,

if a film about mutant super heros makes you want to cry, I think it may be best for you to stay clear of this one, we don't want you dyin on us from dehydration dude. ;)

Really though, the film is a downer at times, however it's a very uplifting film ultimately. It's message is that true love can change your life, and sometimes, even save it from ruin.

If you see it Malcolm, please post your opinion here, i'd love to hear it. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Well, I'm not a big believer in the concept of love, so I don't know if the whole love theme would get to me or not.

But perhaps I'll give it a shot sometime. I actually suggested this movie as a gift for a cousin last Christmas, so perhaps I'll see if I can borrow it from her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks