call before you dig

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Strang, May 11, 2004.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Has anyone had anything like this happen in their town?

Apparently this shovel hit a gas main.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I work in data communications for a large healthcare system, and have numerous "cable-seeking backhoe" stories. However, none of them are as catastrophic as this. That picture is frightening.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thats not a shovel, it's an excavator. [​IMG]

I had an electrical sub-contractor using a backhoe punch through a 21" high-pressure water line. By the time the water was shut off, 2.4 million gallons of water created a lake at a busy intersection. The 60'+ geyser was cool looking.

4. James Pfann

James Pfann Stunt Coordinator

Trust me, just because you call DigSafe before you dig, doesn't mean the lines are where they paint the stripes.

We had the emergency numbers for all the utility companies on our nextels ready to go every time we started a new job.

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

This happened in Philadelphia back in the winter. They had a 150ft geyser of fire burn through the better part of the night.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

when I lived in north dakota I think there was ONE fiber line to the whole damn state. Any time a line was cut anywhere in MN or SD my cable modem went down for a few hours :angry:

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

My neighbor was installing a fence along our property line last fall and hit my gas line. The sad thing was, he never told me about it. I came home that evening, sat around the house smoking a cigarette, and then received a call from my OTHER neighbor warning me...

8. Scott Strang

Did you see the aftermath? A few years ago a gas well was being drilled just a few houses from where I live. I loved that thing and visited it often. Really cool.

The best part was when they were burning the well following a fitting with a valve to see how long the gas would burn and how good the quality of the burn was. That things burned for days and sounded like a jet engine in the woods.

9. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Whom do I call...my nose doctor ?

:wink:

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

...or that the workers operating the digging equipment will pay attention to the markings. We've had clearly identified cable conduits ruptured several times by operators just not paying attention -- one was even in an area where the construction foreman had workers hand digging around the conduit. Some new guy comes in with a backhoe while the foreman is elsewhere onsite, and bye-bye conduit (including all the private fiber and copper cable contained within).

Another time a street repaving crew piled dirt on the Ms. Dig markings, then proceeded to hit our building entrance conduit because "it wasn't marked".

11. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Not in person. From the pictures in the news, all the cars around it had melted from the heat.

12. Scott Strang

What? No Debussy? Nice collection though.

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Were there any fatalities?

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

When I was in Junior High in 1978 (Lacey, WA) a guy tried a Y-Turn in a parking lot, and backed into a propane tank, blowing up the entire propane station, killing the driver and everyone inside. My school bus was about a hundred yards up the road and we could feel the heat.