What's new

California Streaming - September 14th event (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know you mentioned it earlier, but I never saw or was offered an opportunity to pick it up direct from UPS. But practically, I wouldn't have taken that if it required being somewhere at 7am this morning. :)

What you would have had to done, first thing this morning (or last night) is go to the UPS website where you put in your tracking number. Beneath it would have been an option to divert the delivery to another location for pickup.

Up until 6 months ago, you could have it ready to be be picked up at the local UPS store. We have a processing plant in our area where I would go pick it up.

Now they charge you $5 to do it.

The pickup would be at 9am when UPS opens. That also means having to get to the location early as most certainly, you are standing on line with a dozen other Apple geeks waiting to pick their device up as well.

I have just learned to be *somewhat* patient (like Ted Knight in your post above). However, our UPS delivery most certainly always comes at 7pm at night.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Mine just arrived. Packaging is slimmer than I expected...

This is how I’ve rolled last two years!

I take it that's when you simply bring your new phone close to your old one? That starts the transfer process.

IIRC, that even transfers all your music (synched from iTunes), which iCloud doesn't back up.

Unfortunately, I've already done a phone wipe the week before in order to pass it to my 14-yo... I kinda needed to resynch my music anyway...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Now that I have it, I'm kinda debating whether I should just wait for my Spigen clear case to arrive before I switch to using it (from the beat-up old 7 I got back from my 14-yo) -- don't really wanna go out w/ it w/out a case. ETA on the case is Tues (because I ended up having to cancel and reorder)...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now that I have it, I'm kinda debating whether I should just wait for my Spigen clear case to arrive before I switch to using it (from the beat-up old 7 I got back from my 14-yo) -- don't really wanna go out w/ it w/out a case. ETA on the case is Tues (because I ended up having to cancel and reorder)...

_Man_

I feel the same way. I have a week until my Caudabe case arrives.

However, it's kind of hard to keep a new phone just sitting there. Once you set it up doesn't it disable the old one?

My UPS delivery should be here within 30 minutes. Map shows it in the area.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Arrived ten minutes ago. Thankfully it arrived before I head out for an appointment. I've got it transferring data and will hopfully complete while I'm out.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6966.jpeg
    IMG_6966.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 39

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

_Man_
That's just crazy talk.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's just crazy talk.

That is crazy talk.

Who is going to resist using their new iPhone?

It's just that there's a very real risk involved here. Putting that unprotected phone in your pocket and hoping it doesn't fall out for the next week until you get your new case.

BTW, congrats DAVE and MAN on your new phones. Wish your UPS delivery was as quick as mine however the truck is in the adjoining development so I should have it shortly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Transfer complete.

No cell service. Verizon App can't connect it to the line either. Don't know what's going on.

Apple Watch didn't transfer. It's doing it now after the fact. But then iPhone Watch app came up asking to pair and I said yes, but then it didn't know how to connect. So I quit that and am letting the watch do whatever it's doing currently. Confusing systems.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Transfer complete.

No cell service. Verizon App can't connect it to the line either. Don't know what's going on.

Apple Watch didn't transfer. It's doing it now after the fact. But then iPhone Watch app came up asking to pair and I said yes, but then it didn't know how to connect. So I quit that and am letting the watch do whatever it's doing currently. Confusing systems.

I have 90 minutes of transfer to go. I am doing it directly from my original phone as Sam instructed (with meme) above.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Dave, keep us updated

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I did this the last time and never will again. It absolutely choked and hosed up my carefully curated Music / iTunes library which I then spent the better part of an entire day fixing.

Yeah, this is an awful method of setting up the phone.

Halfway through the setup the connection was lost to my original phone (even though it was a few inches away) and I had to start from scratch.

Just set your phone up using iCloud restore for God's sake. Avoid the pain.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Transfer complete.

Called Verizon. 15 minute wait. 7 minute call. They got my cell service transferred. <whew>

Now to figure out the Watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks