What's new

California Streaming - September 14th event (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How do I pair an old Watch to a new iPhone?

I restored using the iCloud restore (instead of the one recommended by the tweet Sam shared)

So far, I have phone service and the watch just asked to connect to the new phone, so very good so far.

If you are having problems with your old watch and new phone you will most likely have to reset the watch through its settings and then re-pair it to your new phone.

I remember having to do that in the past.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I restored using the iCloud restore (instead of the one recommended by the tweet Sam shared)

So far, I have phone service and the watch just asked to connect to the new phone, so very good so far.

If you are having problems with your old watch and new phone you will most likely have to reset the watch through its settings and then re-pair it to your new phone.

I remember having to do that in the past.
The unpair process crashed on the old phone.
The watch doesn't register the new iphone and won't go into pairing mode.
The setup system doesn't exist after initial iphone setup.

I'm resetting my Watch and will try from there.

Which on an Apple Watch 3, takes about 5 hours just to reboot...so a bit tedious. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The unpair process crashed on the old phone.
The watch doesn't register the new iphone and won't go into pairing mode.
The setup system doesn't exist after initial iphone setup.

I'm resetting my Watch and will try from there.

Which on an Apple Watch 3, takes about 5 hours just to reboot...so a bit tedious. :)

That should work, Dave.

Go into watch settings and find reset.

Once you do that, you should be able to pair to the new phone.

Your watch has a recent backup so during the pairing/restore process it should find a recent iCloud backup to get all your watch faces and complications restored.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That should work, Dave.

Go into watch settings and find reset.

Once you do that, you should be able to pair to the new phone.

Your watch has a recent backup so during the pairing/restore process it should find a recent iCloud backup to get all your watch faces and complications restored.
I'm just hoping the failed unpairing didn't mangle the backup.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watch paired to new iPhone. Transfer partially successful. Apps and complications are missing. I can fix it later.

Off to dinner!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Check your new iPhone for a newly available update that is designed to fix new issues with widgets (and I think) Apple Watch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Everything working now.

Watch didn’t have third-party apps installed. I installed my apps. That fixed the missing complications. Then I did some more setup needed to get syncing between iPhone apps and Watch apps and Health apps to get the whole health ecosystem working again.

I think everything on iPhone is configurated and logged in now.

The only quirk I know of now is my iPhone 13 still isn’t syncing with iCloud Tabs. iCloud Tabs has been buggy for me for a couple years. I’ll reboot everything and hopefully that will fix it. Or maybe it will fix itself on its own.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FaceID is pretty great so far. And really fast. Having it for 1Password is amazing. Glad I already bought an iPad Air last year, because now I’d have to spend up for the Pro. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave, just wanted to pop in and say how happy I was to wake up this morning and read that you finally got all your setup issues resolved with the new iPhone and watch. Enjoy!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FaceID is pretty great so far. And really fast. Having it for 1Password is amazing. Glad I already bought an iPad Air last year, because now I’d have to spend up for the Pro. :)
Except in bed. As I expected from past reviews, faceid doesn’t work with some combination: of in bed, lying on my side, at night. This is where I miss touchid.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple definitely needs dual biometrics. FaceID is better sometimes, and TouchID is better sometimes. Having both so I could use the better option as situation dictates would be best.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Since the introduction of FaceID, I have never understood why people need Touch ID anymore except for when they are wearing masks and don't own an Apple Watch to automatically unlock the phone for them.

Not putting down Touch ID, but I have always felt that FaceID is instantaneous and basically you can whiz through any site needing a password just by looking at your screen. I can't wait till the technology comes to Macs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks