California Split on Nov. 2?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan McW, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    I noticed that in the last day or so, California Split has appeared on the Movies Unlimited list of upcoming releases. They say it's coming out Nov. 2 at a list price of $24.99. That sounds like a "Columbia price," although I know some have speculated on the likelihood of the title being farmed out to someone else. MU has no details posted as yet on aspect ratio, extras, etc.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I have heard scuttlebutt on this title for some time. What I can piece together is that it is going to be a Columbia release, it will likely be presented at its proper scope ratio, but that the song "Basketball Jones" by Cheech and Chong will be removed from the movie. Apparently, clearing that song was what held it off video for decades, so Altman finally decided just to get rid of it altogether.

Dunno if there will be commentary. Altman is usually good about such things (IMAGES had, if not a full commentary, specific scene comments), and I would think Gould and Segal would make time for one of their best movies.

3. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

Yep, Amazon and Dvd Planet are both listing this one now for a Nov. 2nd release. Can't say I'm thrilled with the cover art, but I'd buy this one if the cover was Spinal Tap black. Yet another great Altman flick to scratch off my wish list!

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Fans will be delighted to know that there will be a commentary by Altman Segal, Gould and screenwriter Joseph Walsh! Yes!

2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen from hi-def master
    3.0 stereo
    Commentary
    Trailers

No word yet on whether 'Basketball Jones' will be included on the soundtrack.

This has been an amazing year for Altman fans. I never imagined that we'd see Images, 3 Women, Secret Honor, Tanner '88, Short Cuts and California Split all with great transfers and decent extras.

Roll on Novemeber!

5. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

What's the story on Short Cuts on DVD???

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

One of my most anticipated DVD Releases!

Great news on the commentary!

7. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

8. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

Thanks. Yeah, I've been here off and on, but missed this!

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Here's Matt Langdon's review over at DVD Talk: California Split

Long absent on home video (no VHS, Laserdisc due to copyright problems with Cheech and Chong's "Basketball Jones" on the soundtrack) I am thrilled that Columbia have released this gem. Altman fans... rejoice! [​IMG]

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Man, from the title I thought this thread was going to discuss forbidden political stuff about the election. :b

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Me too... My first thought was "oooh this is gonna get ugly" :b

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Nah, I don't know anything about American politics - don't understand the process. Too confusing. But I'm a genius on everything else! [​IMG]

13. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

I missed getting this before it went OOP, but I finally found a copy last week. The DVD I purchased did not have any type of booklet or promotional insert. Did anyone purchase this new when it came out? Was this DVD supposed to come with an insert?

14. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    Has this DVD gone OOP already? Why? I rented it on Netflix last year- good film.

15. Mark VH

Mark VH Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't figure this one out myself, but luckily, I snagged myself a cheap (new) copy off of Half.com as soon as I discovered it went OOP. There should be copies still available via most used outlets, so I'd urge everyone who hasn't bought it to grab it asap, as the price will likely skyrocket as it becomes more and more rare.

16. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Are you sure this is worth it? Evidently, it's not just the song "Basketball Jones" that was cut; it's three minutes, where it and other songs with rights issues play. New York's Film Forum is reviving CALIFORNIA SPLIT this October in its uncut theatrical form.

I have the 04 disc, but unless the film reappears unedited on DVD it's basically a coaster to me. I can only imagine prices skyrocketing downwards given the omissions. Perhaps Columbia is prepping a new fixed version and has pulled the other one in preparation?

From Wikipedia (warts and all):

Sony/Columbia released Altman's film on DVD in 2005 but due to music rights problems they had to remove almost three minutes of footage and make several soundtrack alterations. These include:

A 32-second shot of Bill scat singing while Charlie informs him that "I love to play poker with those redneck fish. Y'now, who think they're Nick the Greek. Love to get 'em steamed. Easy to beat. Suckers."

A scene showing Bill and Charlie at the racetrack that ends as Charlie says "Let's go see a man about a horse" and goes on for eight seconds longer as they walk off singing together.

Bill singing "Happy Birthday to You" to Barbara (Prentis).

As Bill enters the strip club where a poker game is taking place, a basketball-themed cartoon is playing on a television with the song, "Basketball Joe" accompanying it.

Two Phyllis Shotwell songs - "Goin' to Kansas City" and "Me and My Shadow" are played on the soundtrack during Bill and Charlie's journey to Reno and have now been replaced with an instrumental piece.

A scene where Charlie walks away from a poker table while Phyllis Shotwell singing "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You" plays on the soundtrack. This has been replaced with her rendition of "The Lonesome Road."

A scene that showed Phyllis Shotwell behind a piano singing "Georgia On My Mind."

17. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I had no idea all of that stuff had been deleted! I imagine that Altman will be involved in a future DVD re-issue.

18. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

It's a mystery to me why he participated in the current one. Did he not know that the other cuts, besides "Basketball Jones," had been made? I can't believe he would have sanctioned it otherwise.

The IMDb and Leonard Maltin's book credit a 108m running time; the disc runs 105m. It's necessary to have those three minutes back.

19. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

The DVD did not go OOP because of a planned rerelase. It went out of print with at least 100 other Sony discs earlier this year. It's doubtful it will be rereleased & I doubt if the DVD is ever rereleased that the cuts will be reinstated, as much as I wish it would happen, Altman being my favorite all-time director. Altman himself made the cuts in order to get the DVD released. That is the only reason I was willing to buy it.

Per DVDBeaver:

Here's what Altman said about the cuts (from an interview in StopSmiling magazine):

"And a lot of them weren't [released] because of music clearances, or certain copyright problems. We had to make adjustments. The cost of the music track on California Split was so high that Columbia just couldn't put it into video or DVD. That kept it out of circulation for years. Finally, Elliot Gould went in to find out why they weren't releasing it. When they told him it was because of music, he said "Isn't there something we can do about that?" So I made some cuts and took a couple of songs out. We got it into what they considered a reasonable budget. The picture wasn't hurt by it. And that's out now. It doesn't make any difference, the quality of these things. It's as good as anyone sees them..."

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That's weird, since the Basketball Jones cartoon shows up in "Being There" also- was that cut from the DVD of that movie?

That cartoon came attached to 35mm prints of "Tunnel Vision" in 1976, which I have a complete print of. Just need to find an affordable way to get it transferred to video.