California Car Duster: Does it work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Swartz, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I've been thinking about buying a California Car Duster for use on my car in between washes. I was curious if they really work and what people thought of them? I seem to remember the reviews being quite positive. Thanks everyone!

2. Russell B

Russell B Stunt Coordinator

They work pretty good. I use it for my black truck and hate washing it often so i just dust it off everyday.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I doubt they work on my biggest between washes headaches...bird shit. [​IMG]

4. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

If all you have to contend with is dust they work great. I wash my car and a day later there is a thin dust film that the buster takes care of.

The downside is the bird duty and tree/aphid droppings. I park under an oak tree a lot where I get a lot of aphid droppings so the only thing that works is a car wash.

I also have a small one of the inside and it is great. Dust rapidly settles on the dashboard etc. and a quick swipe is all it takes.

Daniel, I am interested in hearing if it works in upstate NY. I am from there, but it has been so long that I don't know how prevelant is the dust problem. Anywhere out west dust is the major issue. In NY you will get showers all the time and water spots may be a bigger issue and I don't think the duster would help much there.

5. Daniel Swartz

Thanks for the input guys.

Ashley: I think you're probably right with respect to water spots. I believe the color of my car (steel blue), however, hides most water spots. Since I don't garage my car, I was looking for something to clean off general dirt and dust everyday. The CA duster is only about $15 so I suppose it can't hurt... I'll be sure to post my findings after a few weeks.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I've used one for almost 10 years. The Duster works great for getting dust off the car. Right now there is road construction behind my office building, and every day when I leave work there is a layer of dust on the car. The product works fine in this situation.

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I'm thinking of trying one of these as well. Just bought a black car and they show everything.

I picked up the California squeegie for drying and I think it is great. Fun too, if you like playing with water. I got it because towels will scratch black.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've used them for several years. they work really well.

when you first get them, the brushes are loaded with this wax stuff. i think they recommend you lay it out on a newspaper or something for the first couple of days - that allows the excess "stuff" to get off the brushes.

for simply daily dust they do work well, but for anything worse you'll have to bust out the old soap & sponge.

they're so cheap that once mine gets excessively dirty, i just buy a new one. but in several years, i think i've only bought like three or so.

9. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I echo the sentiments expressed so far.

I also like my California Water Blade.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What the???? Is "California" the name of the company or does it only work in California? If so, then how does Scott Merryfield and John Tillman get it to work outside CA??? :)
    California duster
    "" Water blade
    "" Squeegie
    What's next?
    California sponge
    California bucket...
    [​IMG]
    On a similar note, I think those ArmorAll autowipe things are pretty cool, used one on my dashboard in my Spyder as I think it would see alot of sun.. easy and one wipe is good to do most if not all of the dashboard if you're quick enough before it dries up..
    Jay

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

12. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I use both the duster and water blade (and live in CA). The duster works great, helps extend time between washes because it wipes of the dust, which will turn into grime if you park it ouside and let moisture build up on the dust. The duster has wax in it, it accumulates the dust on it and actually gets better the more you dust with it.
    The water blade is better at getting water off than a chamois and its less work and it doesn't scratch. You can also use the water blade to wipe down shower walls, too.

There is also a small duster to wipe down dust build up inside on your dash. Doesn't work as well as the big duster, but lets you clean dust out of tight spots in your car (around dials, shifter, parking brake area.

13. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Jay, my squeegee (water blade) came from Costco for $12. I told the cashier that I'm a perpetual sucker for california liquids like Merlot. So she pulled a bottle from behind the register, dusted it with a California Duster, poured a couple glasses and wanted to know if I was from the valley. I think I'm going back for the duster.

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well the next time I go buy car-care products (not often), I'll make sure I request products good in all 50-states!
    [​IMG]
    Jay
    The bike I commute on is a Marin mountain bike, but it's made in Taiwan. Go figure!

15. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Daniel,

I've used the three above mentioned "California" products (Car Duster, Dash Duster, Water Blade), and they all work as advertised... even in OH! We have had a lot of this yellow pollen in the air the past few years and they dusters do a great job of removing that between washings. They're also good at removing rain marks after a storm, although it never looks quite as good as it does freshly washed.

As for those of you that have to contend with bird poo, may I suggest "quick detailing" spray? At my work parking lot, my car seems to be a target zone for the damn geese that populate the area. Maybe they like Orange? Anyway, I keep a bottle of Meguiar's (sp?) Quick Detailing spray and a cloth in the hatch for those in-between wash cleanings. Does a good job or removing the offending materials before they have a chance to etch themselves into the clearcoat...

-Brett.
    '00 VW GTI Bird Magnet 1.8T

16. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

The california car duster does indeed work better with age. I've had mine for about 3 years, and love it. It is not meant for bird crap or tree sap, dust and loose debri only. For the bird crap and bugs I've found that meguiar's quick detailer is about the best. Takes it right off and leaves a nice shiny finish.

17. Daniel Swartz

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll let you know how I make out in a few weeks!

18. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

If you own a motorcycle, the dash duster works great! I use it before every ride.

I really don't like the water blade. I dunno why, just don't like it. I like to use those synthetic chamois' like the 'The Absorber'

19. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Gross! We have just had three days over 108 degrees, but the last two nights we had dust stroms then a light rain. It looked like mud was dumped all over the car. I had to wash it two days in a row. The dust buster would have worked, but this was a lot of dirt. Maybe once every couple of years it does this, but two days in a row is unusual. Just so hot the wind stired up a lot of dust.

20. Daniel Swartz

Do you guys know of any similar products for the indoors? E.g., glass and wood... Thanks again!