calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bobby chohan, Apr 28, 2002.

1. bobby chohan

bobby chohan Extra

ok guys ive been reading for a while about calabarating speakers. I have the access to a calabration disc, and understand to calabrate to 75 dbs. My question is how in regards to getting all speakers to read 75db. I know about the spl meter. Im confused about if one is speaker is over/under 75db, where do i change the volume? Do i change the db reading for the indivdual speaker up or down? Theoretically, if i set all 6 speakers to the same db level on the reciever shouldnt they read the same on the spl meter, takin into consideration that the speakers are of all the same make? Also, my reciever allows me to change the khz for the treble and mids and the hz for the bass on all 6 speakers...is there a standard for the these settings or is that based on indivdual listening?
    By the way.... this is just my second post and ive been reading up here for a little while,im new to the home theater "disease" and just completed my first system. Id like to thank everyone who takes there time to post, you have helped me enormously.Id be lost without u.[​IMG]
    Heres my first shot at a system:
    Sony 43" RPTV
    Sony de1075 receiver
    Sony 360 dvd player (yes i had problems with this unit too}
    Sony sacd 5 disc carosel cd player
    Sony psII
    Shaw digital cablebox
    Panasonic hifi vhs
    Speakers: All Energy
    xl 26 fronts
    ac 300 front center
    xl c2 rear center
    take 2.2 rear surrounds
    xl s12x sub

2. bobby chohan

bobby chohan Extra

i also forgot to ask about my sound level. my receiver reads from -110db to -20db is as far as ive turned it up. Whats with the negitive? how do i read my sound level if it shows negitive dbs?:b

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

I have an HK-120 receiver and I noticed in the instruction book that the treble and bass settings only effect the L-Front and R-Front speakers. (Sub too if you are using one). The surround speakers and center channel are not effected by changes to the bass and treble settings. Your receiver may be the same way.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

vince - i don't recall any info about calibrating in the newbie primer thread...you should bust that one out! [​IMG]

6. bobby chohan

bobby chohan Extra

[​IMG] Wow, i cant thank you enough for your help. I really appreciate the time you took to answer this thread. Everything is totally clear . Thanks again