What's new

Calibration (1 Viewer)

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I need some advice before I start to calibrate my system. I have an Analog SPL meter and AVIA disk is on its way. I am currently using the H/K AVR55 dolby digital receiver. The volume goes from 0 to 70. The channel adjustments can vary from -15 to 15 for Left, Right, Surrounds, and Sub; and the center goes from -10 to 10. I would like some input on where I should start to initially set my levels. I have other emails where their settings for the channels don't vary as much as the H/K. If their is any other H/K owners that have calibrated a similar receiver I would appreciated any input. Thanks.

Daniel T.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Daniel,

Usually the best procedure is:

1) Set all the channels to the middle position (0).

2) Pop in AVIA and start the tones.

3) Adjust the master volume until the left speaker tone reads 85 on your meter.

4) Leave the master volume at that position, and adjust the other channels to 85 using the channel adjustments.

5) Take note of the position on your master knob when you finish, that is "Dolby Ref Level".

6) If you find yourself needing to be at more than +8 on any single channel to get proper calibration- would suggest reducing the L/R level to -5 and then start over at step 2.

-Vince

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

I finally got the AVIA disk yesterday. Is there any wrong reason to calibrate to 75 than 85 on the SPL. The AVIA disk said it is preferred to calibrate to 85 but you can adjust down to 75 if necessary. Maybe I understood them wrong. What I did was set every channel to 0 then adjusted my volume to 60. I then played the tones and this is what I came up with: Left +2, Center -2, Right +1, Surounds 0 each, and Sub -8. I have two subs hooked up. My room is 18X15 with a 12 foot ceiling with and open to the dining room and kitchen. Please advise if 75 is the wrong way to go.

Daniel

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Is there any wrong reason to calibrate to 75 than 85 on the SPL. The AVIA disk said it is preferred to calibrate to 85 but you can adjust down to 75 if necessary. Maybe I understood them wrong.
Nope- there is nothing "wrong" about it per se.
Understand that those test tones are created in such a way that they serve two possible purposes:
1) Most importantly to adjust the speaker output levels so that they are all even. This is key, and you should be able to achieve this goal whether calibrating at 85 or 75 or even 70. As long as all the speakers are even, you've achieved the key element.
2) The second purpose is to determine "REF LEVEL". Ref level is a specific output level created to give a set matched target playback level for mixing studios and theaters. By calibrating to 85db, that will show you the ref level setting for your receiver.
Sometimes this is helpful in comparing playback level between you and other forum members across discs ("I have to crank my system to 2db below ref to have Phantom Menace sound good")... it is a ref point so that when asking for help or discussing a concept, we all have a relative volume point for ref.
If knowing ref level is not important to you (and understand that it doesn't necessarily need to be) then you can calibrate using any target overall level and achieve the primary goal, even channel levels.
-Vince

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

I have another question. I am thinking of moving my subs from the front of the room to the back by my couch and recliner. I want to do so for appearance. Is there a rule to how far the sub must be from the listening area in order not to drown out the rest of the speakers. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have another question. I am thinking of moving my subs from the front of the room to the back by my couch and recliner. I want to do so for appearance. Is there a rule to how far the sub must be from the listening area in order not to drown out the rest of the speakers. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Not really- you should be able to adjust the level of the sub so it could be pretty much anywhere in the room without "drowning out" the rest of the speakers...

Usually you'll get the best performance out of your sub if it is in a corner.

-Vince

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I moved the subs in the corner in the back of the room and calibrated them to 75 spl like the rest of the speakers, but when I popped in Phantom Menace I found that I was unable to sit by it because it had to much bass. I have the subs turned up a little pass quater way with the crossovers to the 40hz. Has anyone had this problem and what was the best solution to resolve it.

Daniel

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure I understand. HOw close are you to the sub? If you're not right next to it, it should be fine. If it is closer to you than the rest of the speakers, then you might have a problem.

I assumed "the back corned of the room" was atleast 8-10 feet away. However, I have seen guys build tube subs for coffee tables and put them right next to their couch without issue.

Were you able to watch Phantom menace without it seeming like "too much bass" before?

When you say your X-over is at 40hz, is this on your receiver or on your sub? 40hz is very very low!

-Vince

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel, from your last post it sounds like you've got the x-over on the sub at 40Hz. As Vince states, that's too low. But, if you are using the sub-out on your reciever, you should either turn the x-over on the sub off, or turn it all the way up which will get it out of the way of the x-over in the receiver. Depending on your reciever, the x-over could be at 80, 90 or 100 Hz, or you may have a choice.

Once you have the x-over set up correctly, re-calibrate the sub.

Larry.

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I turned my crossover on my subs all the way down to 40hz. I have the H/K AVR55 and the manual said when the subwoofer is set to yes on the receiver it only directs sound to the sub below 100 HZ. So by what I am reading I should at least turn my subs crossover above 100HZ to get the full effect of the sub. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I turned my crossover on my subs all the way down to 40hz. I have the H/K AVR55 and the manual said when the subwoofer is set to yes on the receiver it only directs sound to the sub below 100 HZ. So by what I am reading I should at least turn my subs crossover above 100HZ to get the full effect of the sub. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks for your help.
1) Make sure sub is set to YES in the AVR55, and that all the speakers are set to small. You said the manual said that everything below 100hz will go to the sub- but double check to make sure that point isn't adjustable. In my opinion 70hz crossover is ideal, THX suggests 80hz, 100 will do if that's all that is available

2) If you don't have your speakers set to small, the sub will only get the dedicated LFE bass on the LFE track. If the spakers are set to small, all the under 100hz bass will also be sent tot the sub.

3) Right now, if you have done all of the above- and then you set your Sub x-over to 40hz- you create a hole. The receiver is sending everything 100hz and below to your sub- and then you're telling the sub to filter off the high freq info above 40hz-- so now all freq between 40 and 100 that used to be in the signal are gone.

In most cases, it is best to set the receiver crossover (or in your case it's fixed at 100) and let the receiver do all the filtering. Take the sub xover and roll it all the way up, so it will not be re-filtering signal that was already filtered by the receiver.

4) While I think this is an important step- this might not solve your excessive bass issue. It is possible that because you were "refiltering" all the bass info going to the sub that AVIA's tone was not properly reproduced, and thus you got a skewed sub reading. I would follow the steps outlined above and try the avia tones again to double check your calibration- and then let me know if it got any better.

-Vince

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I double checked my manual and I cannot adjust the crossover on the receiver and I can only set the center channel to small not all speakers. It says as I stated before that when the sub is set to yes it will direct 100hz to the sub out. I have turned both subs crossovers all the way and recalibrated. I then popped in Phantom Menace and watched to Pod Race seen and everything sounds great. I appreciate the help on this matter. This is a great forum for getting advice and learning. Thanks.

Daniel T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks