Calibration...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike___Walker, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Mike___Walker

One of these days, I hope to be answering the questions instead of asking [​IMG] Here goes...
    What do I need to calibrate the system, ie picture, sound? What are your recommendations? I'm about to head over to Radio Shack today for a sub cable, and I'd like to pick up any extra neccesities while I'm there. I'm still waiting for my 500 ft of Monster speaker wire I ordered through ebay so I can finish my speaker install [​IMG] , but I'd like to have my other tools to finish the job. Wow! As I was typing this, the UPS guy knocked on the door with the wire [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Talk about timing...

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Do you have the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD? If not, buy that. You'll also need Radio Shack's SPL meter. (I linked to the analog model, but there's also a digital version available.)
    The Avia DVD has video patterns for calibrating the video and test tones for calibrating the audio. It will walk you through the whole thing.

3. Mike___Walker

It says "Provides precise readings when you fine tune audio response of a stereo, PA or home theater system in combination with an equalizer."
    I have a receiver, tv, speakers & dvd player. Is this what I need for sound or am I reading into it too much about the equalizer? I just want to be clear. BTW, thanks for the quick reply...

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's the digital model. The analog model says: "Monitor music or noise levels in home, auditorium or industry. Also ideal for balancing speaker output levels in home theater." But both SPL meters do the same thing. You need two things:
    1. test tones, which AVIA will supply;
    2. the ability to adjust the level of each channel separately; I don't know what receiver or pre/pro you're using, but I'd be surprised if it lacked this feature.
    M.

5. Mike___Walker

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to check WalMart to see if they have a copy of the Avia on hand, and I'm going to get the SPL meter with the digital readout. Thanks for the suggestions...

6. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I haven't ever seen the AVIA disk anywhere but dedicated HT stores. i.e. never Walmart, BB, CC or the others.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I realize this is a digital world, but it's recommended using the RS ANALOG meter to better get a feel for the needle swings, i.e., peaks and lows. If you decide on 75dB as your reference level, you can set the meter for 70 range and watch the needle swing "up" or select 80 range and let the needle swing "down".

AVIA's "warbling tone" settings for bass also create swings you want to see in order to tame.

FWIW I just ordered the new Sound&Vision Home Theater Calibration disc from 800.com for $18 mailed. Today, I cannot find it on their website but you can give them a call. I've seen it on another site also for $15 introductory price, plus S&H.

You didnt ask, but I'll suggest looking at ordinary RG6/U coax cable for your subwoofer's line-level run. Typically you find it in black 25-foot lengths at RS. I found my local custom stereo store had RG6 in bulk white. I had them make a precise length for my room, using F-terminals fitted with RCA adapters, for

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

9. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I doubt you'll find Avia at Walmart. Your chances are about as good as finding a Rolex in their watch section. I have seen it at Best Buy although they sell it at MSRP and you can probably save $10-15 buying it online.

10. Mike___Walker

You know, I don't think WalMart sells Avia [​IMG] They had it on there website, so I figured I'd check the local to try my luck. I guess I'm going to be mail-waiting for it, eh? At least I'll find the best price out there [​IMG] BTW Bill, you swayed me towards the analog meter. Thanks everyone...

11. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator