Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_J, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently changing places and have decided to purchase a new TV. My current 32" Phillips TV will take up residence in my bedroom.

I really want to get a RPTV, but know that if I plan on getting one of those, I'll have to bring in a professional to calibrate it so I can get my money's worth.

This doesn't really jibe well with me because I plan on moving two times within the next two years. Am I correct that I should have it recalibrated after each move?

What if I don't have it professionally done, and stick to Avia or VE? Could I still get a great (i.e., near Wega quality) picture out of it? Unfortunately, I don't know much about RPTV's and the only times I've ever seen them were in stores or bars, so I don't think the picture quality was representative of what can really be achieved with these sets.

I'll most likely buy a Wega 36" if I don't get the RPTV, so I don't think I'll be disappointed either way.

On a related note, what are some suggestions for a RPTV in the $1,500 (US) range. I'm not really concerned with getting an overly big screen, I imagine 47"-50" is the biggest I'd go.

Thanks for any info.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Generally you can get an excellent picture by using AVIA or Video Essentials all by yourself.
    Where the ISF technician's expertise helps is for things like finding three contrast adjustments, one using a screwdriver at the rear of the TV, one using the service menu and one using the regular menu and knowing when to tweak each one. You may be able to figure this one out yourself also. But be careful. You could mess things up if you are not sure of what you are doing.
    Also the ISF technicial can get things like convergence and bowed lines fixed up with less trial and error (or tell you what is incorrigible before you waste too much time yourself), because he has done it a lot.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm