What's new

Calibration Through The DVD Player's Menu? (1 Viewer)

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
My surround system is calibrated through the RECEIVER, for example, each channel is balanced through the receiver's settings, as well as distances, etc....I read my DVD player's manual this morning and there was a chapter dedicated to setting up the surround system through the actual DVD player----in other words, there is a way to calibrate the speaker system in a surround setup on the DVD player's menu, putting in dB levels for each channel, distances, etc....I have left all these at "0" because I thought I was calibrating through the RECEIVER, not the DVD player....does anyone know if you have to set your system up through the DVD player, or BOTH the player and receiver or if everything is fine the way I have it, with all levels at "0" because my receiver already calibrated and set the levels?

Receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR600, player is a Panasonic DVD-RA60.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
that bass and time management is there for the DVD-Audio. the analog multichannel inputs on your receiver should bypass the receiver's bass and time management (i'm not at all familiar with how onkyos work, but that's how most work). if your player is like most, the bass and time management settings done at the player are ONLY applied to the analog multichannel outputs and NOT to that which you send via a digi connection.

you need to calibrate the receiver first. then calibrate the dvd player's analog output.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Thanks for the reply....my receiver is already calibrated for the way I want DVDs to sound; the only thing I am using the DVD player for is to pass digital signals to the receiver for DTS and DD...Im not playing any DVD Audio or SACD. Should I just leave all calibration/speaker levels on the DVD player's menu at zero then?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i don't know how your player works, specifically, but on most players, those settings are ONLY for the analog multichannel outputs and have no effect upon the digital output whatsoever.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting, Scott, and I shall take what you said and run with it....the manual doesnt say anything about these settings being JUST for multichannel analog audio output; in fact, Panasonic makes it sound like these settings on the DVD player should be used when selecting ANY multichannel setup from the DVD player....even DVD video discs, which I am using...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks