Calibration right or wrong

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Stuart Mundy, May 20, 2003.

1. Stuart Mundy

Stuart Mundy Agent

Am I heading in the right direction or not with ebs Shiva?
    All speakers calibrated to 75db using SPL meter!
    Now for the bit thats confusing me I have a disk of test tones that I can run, do I set the receivers output/volume to reference level to measure the subs response at the varying increments ?

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

When I did mine I set the volume at my personal listening level which is the highest level that was comfortable. Keep in mind that you may experience wide variations at some frequencies and you don't want to be fiddling with the level while trying to take measurements.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Stuart

Word of caution, when running frequency sines/warbles/sweeps at "higher spl volumes", let the driver rest now and then.

The driver can heat up quickly when running them at high spl and it is definitly possible to toast it...

I know of more than one guy who has toasted a driver or 2 getting carried away....[​IMG]

4. Stuart Mundy

Stuart Mundy Agent

Thanks for the tip Geoff

5. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Along with Geoff's suggestions, (if you are making the test CD yourself) make the test tones no longer that 10 sec each. Add a 2 sec pause between tracks. And also fade the tracks in and out by one second. This will let the driver rest a few seconds between tones, the driver will not "pop" when the test tones start and stop, and you will have 8 sec. of test tone to sample from.

I always start out at a low volume first. When I get a pretty flat graph, I then turn the volume up to my listening level and test again. This way there are no unsuspected peaks to stress the driver.

Ronnie