Calibration Questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul Mor, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I'm calibrating my system, but the results don't seem right to me. I'm using the manual SPL on the remote of my H/K 7300 and don't have a set-up disc so I'm using my receivers test tones. My listening position is about 14 ft from the L/R, center, and sub; and about 8 ft from the surrounds. My "HT" is my living room which is about 20x17x9 opening into a kitchen/breakfast nook. I've set the master volume to -10. In order to get an SPL reading of 75dB, I've got:
    R/L +10
    Center +8
    Surrounds 0 (SPL of 70dB, too apparent at 75dB)
    Sub 0 (gain is turned up between 1/3 and 1/2 on the sub)

Do these numbers seem okay??

Also, I've heard you should turn up the gain on the sub rather than in the receiver. Is this true? Also, someone told me to NEVER turn the gain on the sub up over halfway. Any truth to that?

Thanks for any help. Maybe one of these days I can give some advise on this forum rather than asking...I am learning.

May not matter, but my speakers are Polk LSi 7, LSiC, and SVS PB12/Plus2

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Most people calibrate their systems with the master volume set at -00. If you do that then your other numbers will look better. Generally it is better to adjust the gain on the sub rather than the settin in the receiver. As a rule of thumb, set the sub level in your receiver to either -5 or 0 (on a scale of -10 to 10).

3. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hi Paul,

I figure you need Ovation's Avia to calibrate properly as I always have problems from avr generated test tones in that they are too short in duration before they switch channels...

Regards.
    David

4. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I re-calibrated last night at 0dB and the results were more like I expected.

I don't have a sub test tone, so I used the bass loop that plays on the menu of Godzilla. Probably not the best, but I think the results are pretty accurate.