Calibration questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod U, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Rod U

Rod U Auditioning

In adjusting my Panasonic 47" HDTV, I've come across some bothersome issues. I'd like to know if these are common across most HDTV units, or if this is something specific to my specific TV.
    First of all, I've been using the AVIA calibration DVD to set the service mode registers for proper blue scale and tint, and for getting the red, blue, and green at 0% on the color decoder chart. Even after doing this, I still notice quite a bit of "red push". Is it possible to have both the color/saturation AND the decoder chart to look perfect, but STILL have significant "red push"? The only solution is to lower the color and desaturate the green's and blues to further limit the red push.
    Second, I notice quite a difference between using the service mode CUT_OFF to show just the red, green, or blue guns as opposed to using the supplied gel filters that came with the Avia DVD. I assume the CUT_OFF is far more accurate, so I've been using that instead of the filters. Am I wrong?
    Finally, I calibrate the TV using the S-video input of my DVD player so that my satellite s-video input uses the same settings. But when I switch to the component input of the DVD player, I need to boost the color by more than 20% to get the blue/tint and color decoder charts back on line! Is it typical for component inputs to desaturate the colors more than s-video?
    Thanks.

2. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

I was able to virtually eliminate red push on my PT47 by tweaking the service registers. Takes a little trial and error, but it works.
    Not sure about the CUT_OFF, haven't tried that.
    My component and s-video inputs are very different. I'm using my DVD player (RP91) to make up the difference.
    Here is a good site for PT47 owners:
    http://63.249.150.205/panny
    [Edited last by Jeff Leigh on August 13, 2001 at 05:14 PM]

3. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

Here are a few tricks I discovered last night that will help to calibrate a set for 480P.
    1) You can use the CUT_OFF register to isolate individual guns. Makes it much easier to check the color decoder and color bars. (Thanks to Rod U at HTS for this tip).
    2) You CAN adjust service mode registers that affect 480p while in 480p mode. Here is the trick. Enter the service mode while watching a 480i source. Preferably a TV channel. Choose the register you want to change and hit action to edit the value. Now hit tv/video to change to your progressive input. You can still edit the register and see the effects while looking at the 480p source. If you want to edit a different register, hit r-tune to change back to 480i, choose the new register and then hit r-tune again to go back to 480p. Works pretty nicely. You will find out that some registers don't affect 480p. COLOR is one of them. You have to go into 1080i mode to fix that. (JohnnyG at HTF found this). There may also be others, but I don't have access to a 1080i source, so finding them will be difficult.
    You will still have the problem about only having one input memory, but the above should help you balance out any compromises you have to make when calbirating this set.
    ------------------