calibration questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave Clem, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Dave Clem

Dave Clem Auditioning

Hi everybody. Thanks for all the great info I get from these forums!!![​IMG] I have the avia disk. All my measurements from my speakers to the listening area are correct. My delays are correct. I calibrated my speakers to 75 dbl, but one problem. It just does not sound right. My speaker settings are as follows: L=+1 C=+1 R=0 RS=-5 LS=-4. No matter how I move the spl meter, whether it be pointed at a 90 degree angle from the listening position or a 45 degree angle, I get the same reading. But, the sound does not seem to engulf me. Also its seems louder towards the left. So then I changed to these settings: L=0 C=0 R=0 RS=-4 LS=-4. The right speaker was the one that hit perfectly at 75 dbs so I changed the center and left to match the right at 0. Then I just changed the RS to be the same as the LS. It seems much more engulfing and seems to surround me more. But I am still wondering if this was the correct thing to do. I dont know whether I am missing some details or not. Please help!!!

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Dave,

How much time did you spend with the speakers calibrated per the meter/Avia? I would suggest you recalibrate, and then spend a week or two with it and see how you feel then. In looking at your numbers, the left side was boosted more or cut less than the right, and you knew that. Our brains do some very funny things with audio that only a little time will erase.

Good luck!

-Robb

3. Dave Clem

Dave Clem Auditioning

I thought about that also. I only spent a few hours or so. I will give it a try a little longer and see what happens. I will answer this post later. Thanks for the reply! If anybody else has any thoughts please let me know.