Calibration question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave E H, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Ok, I'm getting my TV calibrated next week (Mitsubishi 55857). I've also been thinking about replacing my JVC DVD player - I really don't like the interface - I prefered my old Toshiba or Panasonic's GUIs to this one.

My question should be fairly straightforward - should I worry about replacing my DVD player after I get my set calibrated? Would it make a big difference where I wouldn't want to do it? I assume there is some color difference between the output of DVD players (thus I may want to tweak) but it probably won't bother the convergence, etc settings that will be corrected via a proper calibration right?

TIA!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Who's calibrating the set?

The only difference another player would make would be whatever picture adjustments are arrived at by using the current player (via a calibration disc such as AVIA). There are subtle differences among DVD players' pictures. However, a full grayscale calibration performed by a certified technician would be unaffected by whichever DVD player you use.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Actually ... it depends. There are two ways to approach doing a grayscale ...

One using DVD test patterns from VE/AVIA.
    Two using an external signal generator like the Sencore unit.

If one uses the external generator, your TV's grayscale is set up for that and that alone. Since all DVD players output images that slightly conflict with this test generated grayscale, you may never see the images with a proper grayscale anyway. This is kind of like you buying the best cake in the world ... and then you put it behind the glass and you can never taste it.

If you use the DVD player of choice, the grayscale is set up to account for all the tiny deficiencies of the DVD player when it outputs the image. With this method, you can at least enjoy an accurate grayscale for however long you have your DVD player. If you change players, you need to tweak the TV to account for how the new player outputs its images. Always slightly different.

So with one method, you can at least enjoy the fruits of the work ... with the other method, you can only look at the fruit, but you cannot taste it.

In either case, a properly set up grayscale won't last ... it will drift over time. Kinda like the cake going rotten.

Regards

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Such imagery, Michael!

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Tell me about it.[​IMG]