What's new

Calibration Question (1 Viewer)

I'm calibrating my new equipment using AVIA and had a question. Should I have the amp/SVS turned on when setting 85db on my small satellite speakers? There is obviously a HUGE difference in sound levels. It seemed to reach the 85db too fast with the sub turned on, but with it turned off I really had to crank it up to get to 85db. I'm just a little confused.

Thanks
John

(BTW - equipment listing for this setup : )

Eosone RSS 705 (small speakers from Arnie Nudell)
Panasonic RP-91
Denon 3801
Samson S-1000
SVS 20-39
Mits 46807
Monster HTS 5000

I've been working on it more this evening. An example of my confusion would be the front right channel - I adjust the output level up and down (even took it to -15db) and it still registers as 86db on the SPL meter. It's all bass coming off of the SVS.

With the sub turned on I am setting 85db with the main channel output on the Denon set to at or near 0db. When I turn off the sub, I have to take the channel outputs up to +5db or higher to get to 85db.

Am I missing something obvious here? I realize this comes across like a complete newbie. That makes the situation even more frustrating for me!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Make sure the weighting on the meter is correct.

2) What is the sub set at? Have you calibrated it with tones first? The test tones have a small amount of low freq info, but it shouldn't cause a 10db difference unless the sub is waaaay overcranked or if the meter is set incorrectly.

-Vince

Thanks Vince - When I checked back, I saw that the buddy I had bought this from had cranked the bass up HUGE! I brought it down to normal levels and the tests went much smoother.

I like rumble, but I'm really after the way it was mastered on the disc. If it wasn't intended to shake my neighbors house then I'm not trying to force it!

Arron H

Second Unit
With the sub turned on I am setting 85db with the main channel output on the Denon set to at or near 0db. When I turn off the sub, I have to take the channel outputs up to +5db or higher to get to 85db.
Are you using the individual test tones for each speaker? It's not clear to me why having the sub turned up or down when using the individual test tones for the L&R mains would make a difference. If you are using a test tone specifically geared for the main L or R channel, you should not be getting output from the sub.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Arron,

Actually the filtered Pink still has a little bit of stuff in it that will roll into the sub. However, you probably never noticed because it is such a small amount that unless you have the sub output cranked wide open- you'd never hear it.

But feel free to try it- with speakers set to small- turn your sub output all the way up and play the left channel calibration tone on AVIA-- you should get some small amount of sub output from that tone.

-V

Mike Kearns

Auditioning
Good discussion,
I'm using the avia test disc with a digital meter. The test pattern that alternates between speaker and sub is causing some problems. Only my LF matches the sub output the rest have a 6db problem what gives.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

That's weird!

What your saying is: Using the sub/main speaker alternation the sub matches up on the Left Channel- but then is 6db off for every other channel? Is this correct?

Is the sub 6db high or low? What is your crossover point? Are all your other speakers calibrated properly? What receiver or processor? Did you try the freq sweeps- did you get a similar 6db difference?

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks