Calibration Question??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesLee, Feb 4, 2002.

1. JamesLee

JamesLee Auditioning

I have just started getting into HT recently and i have a question about calibrations.. i bought a HT Audio calibration cd a couple of years ago (using until i get my avia), when i go through the different freq ranges it says that it is -10db below reference, i have also set my receiver to -10db and measured the following using the Radio Shack SPL..

Before i did the test i used the internal test tone to set all the speakers to 75db @ -0db on the dial. the internal settings of the receiver is set to small with the crossover @ 80hz...

20hz - 88db

40hz - 89db

100hz - 65db

400hz - 78db

1K - 79db

2.5K - 83db

4K - 84db

8K - 81db

10K - 72db

15K - 62db

18K - 58db

20K - 45db

does this mean that the total sound level is -20 below reference? how can i get more out of the 100hz range?

My config:

Pioneer Elite VSX 27TX

main/rear's: Energy XL-16's

Center: Energy XL-C1

Sub: SVS 20-39pc (Just Received)

Thanks

James

2. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Hi James - Be sure and correct the readings on your Radio Shack SPL meter, per the following:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/RScompchart.htm
    then have another look at the readings.
    Seems like you might have the volume up a bit too high on the sub's amp, at least for calibration purposes. After it's all leveled out, you might want to boost it using the level settings in your receiver.
    Doug

3. JamesLee

JamesLee Auditioning

Doug,

Thanks but i forgot to mention in my post that those are the corrected values rounded up...

I am still confused about if my CD says that the test tones are -10db below reference and if i have my receiver set to -10db, does this mean that it has a cumlative effect of -20db? or is it strictly -10db below reference?

Also if i set my receiver to cross over at 125hz to try and fill the gap in freq, will the base sound be directional at that point?

Thanks

James

4. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

5. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

jameslee,

It looks like your sub levels are set too high. To integrate with your mains, you need to turn the sub down. Some like it high, though. That's OK, too. Just don't expect flat FR up to 20Khz then.

6. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

James - The other posts make sense, especially about the reference level. Yeah, it's cool to know where reference level is just so you can put it there once in a while to impress the friends, but you'll rarely listen at that level. I use the AVIA disk, which has pink noise on it recorded at 85db, which is what THEY say is movie house reference level at the seat. So, I calibrated mine at the 85db level, and noted what the volume setting was on my receiver, but we usually listen at the high 70's.
    I'm not familiar with your speakers, but it appears they drop off fast around 110-120hz. Are they satellites? If so, you can try to fill the gap between 80hz and 110-120 with the sub, but it WILL be able to be localized - anything above 80hz. Perhaps an upgrade is in the future??? [​IMG]
    There's something going on, perhaps room interaction. You've got a pretty wide swing at 1-2.5khz and again at 8khz. You may have to try repositioning the speaker, turning them, moving them away/towards walls, etc...
    Doug

7. JamesLee

JamesLee Auditioning

Thanks Guys.. i will have to experiment more with my settings once i get my avia cd... maybe i will have to upgrade the mains from bookshelfs to a floor speaker to get the 100hz range..

Thanks

James