Calibration question--output of bias lighting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Reckelhoff, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Just ordered one of the Ideal Lume backlights along with a dimmer kit. Now I'm trying to figure out how to determine which level of filtering to use so that the light output is "no more than 10% of the monitor's peak light output".

The wall behind the set (32" Wega) is off-white, so I expect a filter will be needed. Is there any technique to this that's more effective that visually "guessing"? I have Video Essentials but I don't remember it describing any method for assessing this. Would the Avia disk be a better choice? I'll need to recalibrate the set with the light--should I adjust the light level first and then the set, or the other way around?

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. Kevin Reckelhoff

One more question--would it be ok to plug the light into my receiver (Denon 3802)? I like the idea of having it automatically turn on whenever the receiver is on.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

altho you may have not purchased it from CinemaQuest I'll bet they will advise you; the site has an email link,

4. Kevin Reckelhoff

Bill, good point [​IMG] I'll email them as well.

5. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator