What's new

Calibration question--output of bias lighting? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Just ordered one of the Ideal Lume backlights along with a dimmer kit. Now I'm trying to figure out how to determine which level of filtering to use so that the light output is "no more than 10% of the monitor's peak light output".

The wall behind the set (32" Wega) is off-white, so I expect a filter will be needed. Is there any technique to this that's more effective that visually "guessing"? I have Video Essentials but I don't remember it describing any method for assessing this. Would the Avia disk be a better choice? I'll need to recalibrate the set with the light--should I adjust the light level first and then the set, or the other way around?

Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
One more question--would it be ok to plug the light into my receiver (Denon 3802)? I like the idea of having it automatically turn on whenever the receiver is on.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
would it be ok to plug the light into my receiver (Denon 3802)? I like the idea of having it automatically turn on whenever the receiver is on.
Here's a tip from Guy Kuo in a different thread on bias lighting that I found very useful in my setup:
------------------
One neat thing to do is arrange for the bias light to come on automatically when the TV turns on. Sears has a "switch" in their shop tools section
(www.sears.com and search for product # 00924031000)
which lets you plug in the TV in the master outlet. When the "switch" sees the TV power drain go up, the slave outlets power up. The switch units do vary in their senstivity. You may need to try more than one unit to get one which responds correctly to your TV's power load. Sears has a pretty reasonable exchange policy.
------------------
Guy Kuo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks