calibration problem

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Simon Brooke, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

hi guys

i am having a problem calibrating my new speakers, the issue is that my receiver will only allow me to set the surrounds and the center, how can i tell at what level my mains are set to on my radio shack meter.

how do you calibrate without being able to set your mains level?

thanks in advance

2. JamesFarina

JamesFarina Agent

Simon,
    I'm assuming you are using a test disk to calibrate the system. When measuring the front left speaker turn the volume up until it is at 75dB. As the sound moves to the front right the calibration should be close to 75dB depending on placement. You should be able to adjust the balance and volume to properly match the output for both mains. After both mains are adjusted properly continue with the center and surround channels. Hope this helps.

Jim F.

3. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

thanks james
    the problem was i was just using the test tones in my receiver. i will get hold of a test tone disc.

4. JamesFarina

JamesFarina Agent

You don't need a test disc, you can use the test tones in the receiver. Just use the instructions I gave you before. If you are going to buy a disc get Digital Video Essentials, it has a lot of great features.

Jim F

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Simon: check your private messages.

BTW to anybody reading this: I guess I'm one of the few people that don't use pop-up blocking software because the HTF's forum system generates one to inform members when they get a new PM. So if you block all types of pop-ups, you could be missing out on another member's carefully composed piece of advice. And many people use spam blockers on their email boxes nowadays so a message still may not get through.

And that "message tracker" function is real handy too.

In other words, you might want to periodically do a manual check of your PM's. [​IMG]

LJ