Calibration Problem (L/R levels)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt Lee, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

[edit: It just occurred to me that I'm not sure if this should be in speakers or receivers, so...I appologize if I posted it in the wrong one. Its a combination of receiver features and speaker placement I guess.]

I've been attempting to calibrate the audio portion of my new HT setup and I've run into a small snag. First off, I'm going to be redoing it in about a week anyway when my copy of Digital Video Essentials arrives, but for now I've been using a THX Optimizer, even though it says the test tones aren't meant for setting exact levels. I'm shooting for 75db on a Radio Shack analog SPL meter.

So keeping that in mind, here's the problem. I'm using JBL S38IIs as my front speakers with a Panasonic SA-HE100K receiver, and I can't seem to get my L and R main speakers to match.

This receiver only allows level adjustments for the Center, Surrounds and subwoofer. So I can't +/- the level for the L and R mains to match eachother. It has a balance adjustment but for the sake of imaging I'd like to avoid using that to compensate.

What I think is causing the problem has to do with the placement and the room but its nothing I can think of a solution for. Both speakers I attempted to give at least a foot or two on any side from the walls. The left speaker however is just past a large openning in the wall which is a big sort of window/bar thing to the kitchen. The right speaker is the one that seems louder and I'm thinking maybe its because the left speaker isn't reflecting off a wall as much and sound is going into the kitchen.

So I tried moving both speakers around a bit to compensate for this but I'm not really sure what to do while keeping them an equal distance from the listening position. As I said, I'll be redoing calibration in a week anyway since I'll be getting DVE.

The receiver is my roommate's and eventually I'll be getting my own (probably an H/K, but whatever it is, a little more expensive than my roommate's). Do most serious receivers (Onkyo, H/K, Denon, etc) have an adjustment for main L/R speaker levels? I could see one of them being fixed but would think you'd be able to adjust the other to compensate for acoustic circumstances such as these.

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I have been trying to calibrate mine recently. I am far from a expert but I think I know whats happening. I think you are in the wrong set up menu on your receiver. YOu need to be in speaker menu not surround. I saw this today on mine that it does this. If you go to speaker menu you should be able to adjust them all. IN surround you can adjust Center,surround and Sub that's it. I could be wrong but check into it.

3. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

4. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I can and can't do. I can't move the setup 90 degrees because the wall opposite the openning has the front door in it. I might consider swapping it to the wall behind seating but it would be a huge deal and probably somewhat annoying to my roommates for something most of them don't even notice. Plus the cable was installed on the opposite wall (though the previous occupants seem to have run coax under the carpet possibly to place their TV on the opposite wall).

I can't move the left speaker out past the openning (its pretty wide) but I can move it back so that its placed before the openning a bit more? However, this also puts it pretty close to the corner, and I was trying to get as much space between the walls and speakers (as per what I've heard here on HTF about letting the speakers "breathe") so that would put it at best a foot out of the corner, but would that possibly still be acceptable? If I can't find any other solution in moving them, I will definitely try adjusting the L/R balance when my DVE disc arrives and hopefully that will take care of it well enough.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer