What's new

Calibration of Rear Surrounds ??? (1 Viewer)

Robert Sun

Agent
Hello,
I just got AVIA and calibrated the volume of the speakers, but I was wondering about the positioning of the rear surrounds. I have read that they should be 2-3 feet above the ear level and firing straight across each other. Although I have also read some people have found that they get better sound bouncing the sound off walls etc..

Is there any particular DVD which would allow me to "play" with the direction of my rear surrounds to determine which gives the best sound field for my room? Alot of the DVD's I've watched don't seem to have alot of rear speaker action so it's hard to judge which position is the best.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Robert,

According to Dolbly Digital Labs, you are right, you have to place them 2-3 feet above the ear level. But I have mine around 4 feet because of placement problems, and for me it sounds great. The surround speakers are the less work speakers in HT.

I dont know if there is any CD or DVD that only works your surround speakers, but wait until some else tells you another idea or approves mine, but here it goes, why dont you set your connections of your surround speakers as your mains, and play some music in stereo. And then start playing with your placement until you like it, and then switch them back as surrounds. I dont know if this will work maybe you should wait until someone has another idea.

The only thing that you should consider, is that most amp/receivers drive more power to the speakers in stereo, and in many HT, the surround speakers are smaller than mains, maybe you should check the recievers manual, about power driven in stereo, and the specs of your surround speakers.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks