Calibration of HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James FT, Apr 1, 2001.

1. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

There is a company out there ISF www.imagingscience.com that will calibrate your high def set.
    I am thinking of having it done on my Toshiba 56 H 80 by a local facility here.
    My questions are?
    How much did it cost?
    Could you see a difference?
    Was it worthwhile?
    I would be interested in anyone comments.

2. TimP

TimP Auditioning

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    A quickie in Canadian terms.
    Cost for an RPTV ranges from $350 for the basic oil change variety to $600 for the major tune up.
    The oil change gets you better colours (in general), but the major tune up gets you more of the wow factor. Improved colour consistency, better focus, increased image detail.
    The problem is ... finding someone that will provide the full gammut of services in your area. Most of the ISF certified people would be hard pressed to provide more than the oil change for the TV. From what I have gathered, the Toronto area does not have many ... if any ... ISF people that do the major tune up work.
    I was in Toronto in January working on some 13 units as a group of 10 people got together to bring me in.
    YOur TV out of the box gives you a good picture ... say it is 85% of the TV's potential. A full calibration takes the picture to 98% ... let's say. (Leave a couple % for room for other tweaks that might be discovered.)
    Regards
    ------------------
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

4. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Or you could bring the 85% status to 95% status by adjusting it yourself with the DVD "Video Essentials". Last time I checked, it was being sold for half the MSRP over at 800 dot com.