Calibration: My evening with Gregg Loewen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

ISF video calibrator and all-around good guy, Gregg Loewen, came by last night and performed his magic on my "old fashioned" Panasonic PT56HX41P (56" 4:3 HDTV).

Like many before me, my account of the evening's results is very positive and Gregg gets 2 mighty thumbs up from me.

Even fellow HTFer, Leo, showed up to take a gander at the calibration-fest.

---------

Just a cursory overview of the night's activities:

Removed screen guard (to get rid of the glare) and this definitely made the image look less distracting due to previous reflections.

Lined inside of the cabinet with black cloth to cut down any internal reflections.

Manual adjustment of focusing of the lenses and associated electronics.

Grayscale adjustment was done. Originally, my grayscale was all over the place, but afterwards, it was much more uniformily even around 6500 K. This simply can't be done by eye, and it lays the foundation for the rest of the calibration.

Color calibration was next on the list. This evened out my problem with a reddish-ness to the overall picture of my set previously. It's not quite a red-push problem.

Geometry/overscan was addressed.

Convergence was the main last task, and it's pretty time-consuming, but the results add to the overall improved picture quality.

And along each step, Gregg was very good in covering the details of what was being adjusted and how it would impact video performance/quality.

-----------

Whatever my recommendation is worth, if Gregg's coming through your town, and you have a set that's in need of calibration, you can't go wrong with having Gregg work on it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for passing that along Patrick. Gregg is headed my way on Thursday and I can't wait! [​IMG]

3. Ed Swank

Ed Swank Auditioning

Gregg did my set last week. He did keep me abreast of every step, even though I hardly knew what he was talking about. I finally got a chance to watch a DVD on the newly calibrated unit, and new progressive scan player this past weekend. Stunning. My old DVD player/TV setup made movies look pretty bad. Now, it has almost a three dimensional look. I'm very happy. I would still like a better picture with the satellite, but now I know it's not my set. Just something I need to live with for now.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just how off was the grayscale, Pat?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Maybe +/- 1000 to 2000 K off in differing IRE levels.

6. Jim Doolittle

Hey wait a minute, I'm the "all around good guy". I have proof, check it out at www.imagingscience.com under personnel!

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I wish one of you guys would video tape a session so we could see what really goes on & then make the tape available to HTF Members for a reasonable price. Just a thought or is calibration a top secret with you guys? I know I would buy one.

8. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

Buy a personal calibration instead!

9. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

10. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Alan, really thanks for the offer but I've seen pictures in video mag's & etc. I just thought it would be nice to see them in action with their gear especially for people who can't afford a calibration. Maybe after they saw one on tape or whatever format they might decide to save up & have one done themselves.

12. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Gregg's coming to my little crappy HT mid-April and I've already gotten his permission to take extensive pics with the digital camera as a kind of ISF photojournal. As soon as I can tear myself away from the screen afterwards, I'll be sure to post a link to it here at the HTF for the curious.