"Calibration" Links, Advice, Online Guide?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steven_Lazarus, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus Stunt Coordinator

Quick, Simple and to the point. I need help trying to find info in regards to calibrating my Sony KP-57WS510 model television. Currently I don't have the luxury of hiring someone to come out and show me how it's done or do it for me because my military career has taken me off to Sigonella Sicily.
    I do not currently own a Avia setup disk and I'm unsure if it even covers going into the service menu and making little tweaks and adjustments to the "Factory Set Specs" to get the most out of my television. I've searched the archives and the outer realms of the WWW. domain with little to no luck. I know everyone's television is different, and even the same models can require settings that differ to achieve optimal performance. Is there a good guide out there that covers all the good material and need to know stuff when it comes to calibrating within the service menu?
    My television is great, just a few things here and there I would like to try to alleviate and or minimize such as the scan lines? I see rolling up the screen spaced around five inches apart (possible over-scanning?) or could just be the digital transfer on the disks, not to noticeable, but there regardless..?? Who knows...
    Does anyone know where a good guide is located? I'm even willing to shell out a few bucks if required to do so. Thanks in advance for any feedback...
    Steve

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would start with a disc such as Avia or DVE. As for the scrolling lines, that is something wrong somewhere either in the source(not uncommon with cable TV for instance), or the cabling, or perhaps the set.

3. Steven_Lazarus

Hi Chris,
    But does the Avia disk go into adjusting the settings available in the service menu?
    By the way, how's the weather over there? I'm from the Bremerton/Silverdale area. God you'll never know how much I miss my quad-shot carmel mocha's [​IMG]

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, today is a rainy foggy day. But this summer has been absolutely perfect. But don't tell people that, that's our Seattle secret [​IMG] .

Avia provides the patterns necessary for setting the basics of color and white/black levels, as well as patterns that are very helpful in dealing with more advanced setup options that may be available in the service menu, etc.

Avia specifically, is my preference for basic setups, because of its easy navigation, and relatively clear explanations. I do, however, use DVE and Avia in combination, along with computer test patterns and in-projector patterns to set things, but I am fairly advanced in these regards. Neither disc will explain in complete detail all the things you can do with the basic patterns, so as not to over-confuse newbies, and neither goes into more advanced setup procedures.

But this is an excellent source of info if you want to explore some of the many things a setup disc can help you with:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...i+do+with+Avia

5. Steven_Lazarus

Thanks for the link,
    I'm on duty all night and plan on doing alot of digging and reading. I'm not well versed in H/T jargon yet, but at one point I didn't have a clue where or what a video card looked like in a pc, now I can build them. So in time things will fall into place.
    As far as the weather goes, when it's not raining in the Puget Sound area it is "God's Country" indeed!! [​IMG]
    Just out of curiosity have they completed the second bridge across Tacoma narrows? They were rolling along before I left around April of 03.....

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Dont know about tacoma-narrows, im pretty sure not yet.

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There is just no way a disc can include service information for the 10000's of TV's out there. Just where do they start? What brand? What country?

Tweak sites like Keohihdtv are a great place to start for research. If something stumps you, just ask any of us here. If we know, you will get an answer.

Regards

8. Steven_Lazarus

Greetings Michael,
    I completely agree with your post, that's why after hours of web surfing with zero results I posted. I just can't seem to find anything that deals with adjusting any service menu settings for my Sony. There has to be a guide out there somewhere that gives you a general idea of commonly made adjustments to RP-TV's in service menu's not just Sony's, but all of them....
    But like you said, there's so many where would they start, would you recommend a live and learn approach and just document original setting before making adjustments? not a bad way to start, but that's where I'm having problems, where should I start ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Stuff to look at in the Sony ...

RGB cuts and drivers for grayscale
    and the 4 ot 5 colour decoder parameters ... Ry-R RyB ... GyB ...

Also HPOS and VPOS controls for centering and WID and HIT controls for overscan.

This is a good Start ... plus a bunch of VSM items for velocity modulation.

And then you need to do the physical stuff like mechanical and elec focusing ... (E from front and M from back)

Regards

10. Steven_Lazarus

Hmmmmm, I'm all over it!! already done the elec focusing last night, E from front and M from back.. guess it's time to move onto adjusting the velocity scan modulation and fine tuning the flux capacitor...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

A really simple way to adjust your set is in DVD's like Finding Nemo, Star Wars II, Pirates of the Caribbean there is the THX logo in the setup menu. Just Click the Logo and it has an easy Video and Audio setup.
    The explanation is really easy to understand for adjusting your set.
    You'll need a blue filter when you get to the part where you adjust the colour like the one in Avia.
    I didn't find the explanation at first in Avia was easy to understand, so the THX setup was a good starting point for me.

12. Steven_Lazarus

Greetings Ian,
    Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I've traveled that road already, I've used the THX optimizer to adjust the basic stuff but I need more!.
    My problem is messing with the service menu items. I'm the type that likes to fiddle with things to see if I can find that little tweak that's buried deep in the service menu that in all actuality only I will ever notice [​IMG] If I know it's there I have to mess with it!! Sometimes that's a bad thing, but I need to do it.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Steve